Debbie R
Debbie R
  • Fletcher, NC
Asked on Apr 30, 2012

best plants for part sun in a planter

Venna Juve G360 Sod (Donna Dixson)Susan S
+11

• Walter Reeves

What shape is the planter? How big? I've used dwarf boxwood in the center of a round planter and done an annual replant of pansies and petunias around it.

• Venna Juve G

Coleus, impatience, begonias. just three off the top of head

• Teresa D

i love impatiens for flowering plants that are shade-tolerant. Creeping Jenny would add some interest and overflow. What about liriope? Hosta even.

• Pam

Impatience can't take Louisiana sun at all. They get fried. But now we have sunpatience that can tolerate sunny area but I have no experience with them. It breaks my heart when my plants burn from the sun. Plants bring me such joy. I live for spring each year. I tolerate allergies.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Which part of the day is sun and which part is shade?

• John W

Wave petunias!

• Sandra R

I have hostas in my planters on the porch rails and then I put impatience around them for color. the hanging ones iI also add some vinca vine. The hostas winter in the pots.

New Guinea impatiens take more sun than regular impatiens and have done very well in planters for me.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

How big is the planter?

• Susan S

I really like the New Guinea impatiens for that very reason. Very hearty - or is it hardy?? Anyway, much tougher but also more expensive that the regular Impatiens however, u do get your moneys worth!!

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

I potted this planter up Saturday for one of my clients (3rd year). It is stuffed full of plants. It goes in a part sun/shade (morning sun , afternoon shade) mostly annuals. I didn't water it so the plants are a bit dirty from my handling (no water so he could resettle it when he arrived home and so it wouldn't be quite so heavy) In the planter~ Black Elephant Ears, Dracena Spike, Strobilanthies (Persian Shield), Shrimp Plant (for fun!), NG impatiens( red and white blooms), Chartreuse color leaf Coleus, Variegated Sweet Potato Vine, Variegated Vinca vine Red Trailing Ivy Geranium, White blooming Euphorbia, oh... and yellow lantana. All there for specific purpose of color combining.

q best plants for part sun in a planter, gardeningq best plants for part sun in a planter, gardeningq best plants for part sun in a planter, gardeningq best plants for part sun in a planter, gardening
  • Susan S

@Four Season - OK. I volunteer to be next! Sometime next week work for y'all??? I promise I'll have sweet iced Tea served in a mason jar - or better yet I can break out the fancy "redneck goblets" - if you saw that post by LeeAnne awhile back!!!

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

heh..I could use a nice VA vacation just about now Susan! Patricia if you will post some picture of your space in a new thread you will have more than ample plenty folks able to give great advice here on home talk.

• Venna Juve G

Perennial, or annual???