Cherish C
Cherish C
  • Citrus Heights, CA
Asked on Apr 30, 2012

How do you get rid of flies on the front and back porch?

LayneHelenGerald NormanLeAnn Greer
+24

My front porch and back patio are plagued annually by flies (not just 1 or 2, swarms). Some info, both face east, the front patio is covered, while the back is covered by a tarp hung from the roof to the fence for privacy between us and the neighbors. (our large glass sliding doors face each other and we can see directly into each others house, so we put that up for privacy). There are a couple of trees over the back patio, and a couple by the front. I have hung fly traps, sprayed bug sprays nothing seems to keep them away. Whats worse, they come inside whenever a door is opened and then my house is full of flies.
Any help, thoughts or tricks would be appreciated!
  • Walter Reeves

Flies don't just come from nowhere. They have to have a breeding spot...typically decomposing organic matter. What theories do you have about where they come from?

• Cherish C

I really wish I knew. It just seems as the weather warms up they show up. I keep the front and back very clean, and my gardening compost bin is all the way in the back on the other side of the house. So, as to where they are coming from, I have no clue.

• Keller Pest Control

What you probably have are cluster flies and if so good luck. They are exceptionally difficult if not impossible to control If you live within a couple of miles of animals cows, sheep, goats , They come from the ground around the manure areas and try to harborage in your house I have attached a link where I asked some professionals that question paste into your browser and read them sorry. http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Does-anyone-have-no-miss-87721.S.98943258?qid=c46af505-c58b-40ae-a9e8-d380c8318210&trk=group_search_item_list-0-b-ttl&goback=%2Egmr_87721

• 3po3

What type of flies? These photos might help you identify them, and that can help you figure out how to control them: http://www.orkin.com/flies/

• Cherish C

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Phyllis M

Spray the entire area with a pesticide such as Permethrin 10%, found at your local feed store.

• Cherish C

Oh, wasnt sure if that would keep them away. I will pick some up and give it a shot this weekend! Thank you!

• Cherish C

• Cherish C

the neighbor and I both thought cutting down the tree that hangs over our patios that was also ruining the fence might help to do away with some of the flies... we were wrong... :( sprays havent helped and between my neighbor and I we are lost! Stupid flies... come on cool weather! Thats the only thing that seems to keep them away.

• Kim Robinson

Big 3 wick lavendar scented candles work great! The ones made by glade work the best!

• Jeri Turner

i am having the same problem. and mosquitoes too!!!!

• Jul33701207

I know this post is from a while ago but I just found it now because I'm having a big prob with these annoying black flies. I think mine are from these flower bushes my neighbor just put in because I overheard him telling his son to come and look at all the flies all over the bushes. UGH it has me so mad. They are all over the front of my house. Well anyway I seen you had a prob with misquitos I do also. A little trick I learned is when your going to be outside of your house doing gardening or just relaxing if you put 2 fabric softener sheets on you like one in the cooler of you shirt in the back and one hanging out of your pockets on your pants maybe rub the sheet on your self a little and you Will not be bothered by those annoying little blood suckers.
  • Keller Pest Control

As I said before you need to determine the type of fly then you can determine the source and then and only then can you hope to resolve the issue. Spraying random pesticides will obviously give no control and can be not only environmentally irresponsible but dangerous to you and your neighbors. Also since the flies fly what good does it do to spray the ground unless the flies land on the chemical and get enough of exposure to get a lethal dose all you are doing is contaminating your home and the surrounding environment. If you want you can call a local pest professional or three to get their opinion and then also check the local extension offices for there assistance. Be safe and do your homework. Put the bazooka away and call the sniper in.

• Ani1630335

Household flies hate the smell of Pine Sol (& similar products) and go elsewhere. Mix 1 tablespoon with water. Put it in something like a cereal dish. I keep mine just outside my door. Also works inside your stinky garbage only using a few drops inside the can. I even put it near my cat's dish when it's placed outside. Also, an up-side-down freebie, filled with water keeps the ants away from the food as well.

• LeAnn Greer

I also had cluster flies on my front porch. These three things made them go away

1.Vodka spray repellent:
    make such vodka based fly repellents you will have to mix following ingredients:
    1 cup vodka
    2 tsp aloe vera juice
    1 tsp lemon eucalyptus oil
    1/2 tsp. essential oil blend
    Mix them in a spray bottle. Spray the affected area. You can also use this on your skin. The flies hate the smell and will go away
    Note: Only apply this repellent on your skin if you are comfortable with it. If you have any kind of allergies with any of the above ingredients then it’s better to avoid this method.
    2. Using Lemongrass Oil as a Natural Fly Repellent:
    Lemongrass oil has strong insect repellent properties and in addition to this it can also keep your home refreshingly aromatic. So, you can use the lemongrass oil to make a fly repelling spray that also works as a room freshener.
    To make this spray you will have to mix following ingredients:
    Lemongrass essential oil- 20-25 dropsHot water about 1/2 cup
    Keep the solution in a spray bottle and spray it along your doorways and windows or any other fly infested area.
    Note: In absence of Lemongrass oil you could also use other natural oils like Lavender oil, Citronella oil, Eucalyptus oil, Pennyroyal oil, or Peppermint oil. But with them you won’t achieve the results that you would get with Lemongrass
    3. Using Clove based Deterrent:
    Cloves are pleasurably aromatic for humans but flies (particularly house flies) cannot stand the scent of cloves. In this remedy, you would have to use cloves along with lemons to deter flies.
    To make this deterrent, take a lemon and cut it into two halves. After this, poke 6-12 cloves into each half of the lemon.
    And then, you can keep few such clove poked lemons in a plate as a beautiful centerpiece for your table, especially for the times when you have meals with friends outdoor like in a barbeque party.
    Alternatively, you could also use clove oil as it works better than solid cloves.

• Robin

We live in the country with many farm animals close by. My Dad swears by this and keeps flys away from his doors. He hangs a zip lock bag with water and a few pennies in it beside his doors. You never see a fly in his house.
  • Cherish C

Tried that, didn't work. :( And whats bad is I have moved since I originally posted this, and even at my new house they fly right around the back patio. I am cursed...
  • LeAnn Greer

I would try the vodka repellent and wash the porch floor down in the lemongrass oil repellent. Let me know how that works.
  • Gerald Norman

I lived on the island of St. Croix for a number of years. Flies were horrible! Mix equal parts of balsamic vinegar with water, then add a little dish soap. The flies are attracted to the vinegar but when they go in for a sip, the soap removes the water repellentacy from their wings so they drown. Scatter a few bowls of this on each porch. The flies won't disappear but you will see a dramatic drop in their numbers.
  • LayneHelen

I live in the middle of suburbia CT and every time the weather gets humid or just warm I get a crap ton of flies. Half my porch is covered and half isn't, they prefer to stay under the covered part and for some reason the bulk of them are in the corner opposite the door where I smoke. Obviously when I'm not smoking I do like to enjoy my porch with my almost two year old son and our less than a year old beagle puppy. Any recommendations that are toddler and puppy safe? It's been driving me nuts.