Making a Wall Chalkboard

Painting a chalkboard directly onto a wall is a great way to add some character and whimsy to a space while being practical for notes and reminders. Check out this easy step-by-step tutorial.
making a wall chalkboard, chalkboard paint, diy, how to, painting
My inconvenient entryway is the only part of my house that I really don't like. Being an urban dweller, I live in a stacked-condo and that means that as soon as you come in my front door you have to go up a steep set of stairs. This set-up leaves very little room when you come in the door and it has always been the bane of my existence in this house.
I have been tackling painting most of the house this spring (see the paint colour plight here) and finally got the staircase and entryway done. Painting a lighter colour really helped to brighten up this area but I wanted to do something a little different to add some character. I decided a large chalkboard right inside the door would do the trick.
When I was painting the entryway, I left a large area on one wall as it was and then taped off a rectangle around it that would form the inside of the chalkboard.
Using a roller for the first coat and a brush for the second, I painted the inside of the rectangle with Rustoleum Chalkboard Paint.
After the inside was done, I used a piece of chalk to draw out a frame around it. Chalking out the frame on the wall first, before painting it, allowed me to make sure it would have the proportions and curves I wanted. Once I had the shape I wanted, I filled it in using Fusion Mineral Paint in Champness.
To give the frame a little more depth and character I used a very bristly, small, flat paintbrush and painting on some Fusion Antiquing Glaze after the Champness was completely dry. The Antiquing Glaze softened the blue and added lines to make it look like wood grain.
As with any chalkboard, once you have let the paint cure for about four days, you need to season it. I took a piece of chalk and rubbed it sideways all over the surface and then wiped it with a soft cloth. Doing this will keep future pictures and writing from leaving permanent marks in the paint.
With the large wall chalkboard done, I can now write notes or messages and the entryway have a little bit of character despite it's very small space.
To see the more pictures of the process, drop by the Recreated Designs website...
Recreated Designs

• Pat Ruge

Your idea is absolutely great! My question is where do you keep the chalk to write the necessary notes?

• Recreated Designs

Hasn't happened yet as the door opens wide but we'll see ;) I hope not... maybe in the dead of winter though when we are all wearing heavy clothing and coats. Crazy Canadian winters ;) So far so good though.

• Emily Bickham

Love chalkboard paint & have used it many times- however I've been able to complete projects without having issues until my current project piec! I've sanded and primed, as well as spray painted a cabinet/tv stand as a custom order request & im dealing with a huge chipping road block & don't want to deliver a piece to the family without somehow sealing it; or doing whatever necessary steps to ensure it won't just start chipping away as soon as they put it to use and of course I don't want chips to occur at all ever but definitely not anytime soon after the investment they've entrusted me with. It's going to be used as a "tv stand" by a young boy who personally picked out his paint preference and he wants to of course be able to utalize the chalkboard feature, but I've never had to "seal" or put any type of top coat on all previous chalkboard paint projects I've done & I've been searching up and down for what to do?!

Now, with all of that being said- my question really is just seeing if you might happen to have any suggestions for me?! Thanks!!!
    • Recreated Designs

Hey Emily... I am happy to help! Are you using chalkboard paint to write on or chalk paint to paint the piece of furniture? If chalkboard paint, you wouldn't be able to seal it or you won't be able to write on it. If you are using Chalk paint, you can definitely seal it and it should stop the chipping and any flaking etc... If you are using paint that does not need to be written on (like chalkboard) you can seal it with a variety of topcoats assuming you have not waxed it or put any other type of oil or wax on top. If you want to let me know what type of paint etc... I am happy to let you know what you can do. ;)