Dan330
Dan330
  • Saint Paul, MN

DIY Fairy Door

$20

I noticed an opening at the base of an old oak tree in the woods near my home. My grandkids have a fairy garden at their home but somethings is missing...the fairy. I found a fairy door at a local flea market and this is how I installed it: http://livedan330.com/2013/06/04/201364diy-how-to-install-a-fairy-door/ and don't forget to follow us on Hometalk!
This is a wooded area on my property that my grandkids call the Fairy Woods. One of the old Oak Trees has a large hole near the base of the tree. I had an idea...Fairy House in the tree.
I found this Fairy Door at a flee market. I needed to find a piece of wood to mount the door on to fit in the hole in the tree.
I traced the shape of the hole in the tree on a large piece of paper.
I used the paper to transfer the shape of the hole to a piece of lumber I found in the garage. I Cut out the plug for the hole with a jigsaw.
I Marked a template for the opening where the door would be mounted. Then I cut the door opening with the jigsaw.
After the door opening was cut out I painted the wood to protect it from the weather. Then I glued the door on the plug. The next day I mounted the plug in the tree.
This is the finished product. We added the fence and plants to the Fairy House front yard.
This is a shot from further away. Luckily this tree is also home to a large swing the kids play on so it was easy for them to find the fairy house on their own.
Granddaughter Reagan finds the fairy house. A very exciting time!
Dan330