M&M Embellishments
M&M Embellishments
  • Franklin, PA

Our Backyard Oasis {Pond & Waterfall}

My son and I created a backyard oasis a few years ago. It brings us so much enjoyment all summer long!
our backyard oasis pond waterfall , diy, landscape, outdoor living, ponds water features
This is what it looked like before
I went to work one day and he surprised me by just starting on what we had envisioned.
We live in Northwestern PA so we had to make a part of the pond quite deep so the fish will survive through the winter. They don't all survive, so I have given up getting the expensive Koi.
We got all of the rocks/ boulders off of our own property. So, a lot of digging for the pond itself and for the rocks! {No wonder I have back problems}
This year, we have two new additions to watch over the pond. I love my frogs, and hope these will entice the real ones to come soon!
And my big guy likes to drink from the waterfall.... :)

To see more: http://www.mmembellishments.com

• Sabrina

What kind of black plastic did u lay to keep the water in

• Carole Wilson

They sell pond/pool liner at home depot type stores and pool supply stores. It's really just a heavy visqueen (not sure of spelling lol) that is used.

• Sabrina

And where do u get the black plastic from cause we done one and the neighbors dog jumped in and needless to say the water started draining lol 😂 I need something stronger r there any suggestions

• Mitzi

There are a few “green” barriers on the market. A quick search on Amazon or a quick trip to your local garden center should give you some names/brands.

• Celia Baker

We live in titusville, used to live in Franklin, nice job.... what do you feed your fish in the winter and do you put some kind of cover over the pond during winter??

• Michael

When the water temp reaches 45-50 degrees, stop feeding your fish. They go dormant, like hibernation. We shut our pumps down, place aquarium airators in, a floating 100 watt heater, and cover with netting to keep out leaves. I only plug in the heater when freezing temps. That's it til spring!

• Debbie

Beautiful and so peaceful!

• Debbie

I did one a lot like this and enjoyed it for many years. Mine was more round shaped & 3 ft deep so it allowed the fish plenty of room to play & hide from the sun. I live in Ohio and because I had a lot of depth to my pond I kept my fish in it each winter with the filter running to aerate the water when the pond froze over. Occasionally I'd go out & break the ice a bit. But orther than that nature took care of it!💚