Renee F
Renee F
  • Powhatan, VA
Asked on Apr 30, 2012

Can anyone tell me the name of this rose? I know it's a climber, is long-lived & disease resistant.

Renee FMiriamJohnchip
+8

Blooms are pale yellow that turns white with age
Mystery Rose #1
Mystery Rose #1
Another pic
Another pic
q can anyone tell me the name of this rose i know it s a climber is long lived amp, gardening

Check "Alberic Barbier." It fits your description.

• Renee F

I believe you're right! Thanks Doug!

You're welcome, Renee. Since "AB" has been around since 1900, I think it's proven its worth!

• Nikki

@Douglas Hunt I have a climber called golden showers I believe, that seems similar this this one too, Do you know anything about them? They are beautiful and bloom like crazy but the blooms on mine seem to only last a day or 2 before the just drop off. Is that just the type of rose or is there anything I can do to prevent this?

• Renee F

It sure is indestructible! I need to move it because it really is in a bad spot.

It would be best to do that when the plant is dormant, Renee. If you must move it during the growing season: water, water, water!

• Renee F

Thanks Doug. No plans to move it until this Fall

• Johnchip

Climbers when they set right can be magnificent. I had one by surprise i bought at a kmart, no name, it took off and covered the entire side of the barn within a couple years and bloomed all spring into fall. magnificent. Since you live in VA, I would say it came from Montpelier and just call it your "Virgin Dolley Madison Blushing Bride Rose" and enjoy the story which you can embellish each year with more cocktail parties..;)

• Miriam

ibelieve it is a john f kennedy not golden showers thats too yellow i have 20 roses in my back yard and yes john seems the cheap ones do better just ordered from Jackson Perkins very disapiontedFOR 30 DOLLARS

• Renee F

feedback from other members