Asked on Jun 11, 2013

It has these brown/burnt looking spots and some holes in the leaves. W

Betty BradyCatherine SmithCarla Seif
+13

it has these brown burnt looking spots and some holes in the leaves w, gardening
  • What can I do to save them? They are red bell pepper plants.

• Lori J

Are you watering via sprinkler? Tomatoes and roses will get spots from top watering.

Are there slightly raised spots on the undersides of the leaves? It looks like you may have bacterial spot. The University of Illinois has more info here: http://ipm.illinois.edu/diseases/series900/rpd910/

• @Lori J , this is a red bell pepper plant. It is the only one with the spots. The tomato plants are doing great actually. Which is confusing because they are next to each other. ~Ben N

• @Douglas Hunt I'll have to check the undersides. That's what I was thinking. Some kind of bacteria something. Thanks for that link! ~Ben N

• Judy

Could be bugs too...thought my green beans had some sort of nutritional deficiency or bacterial or fungal thing going on. Turns out it was red spider mites. The blasted buggies are so tiny you have to look very closely at the underside of the leaves in good light & watch for movement. They're almost invisible.

• Catherine Smith

Agree, check the underside of the leaves, it looks like spider mite damage. You could take a couple of the leaves to your local extension office, they should be able to tell you what you're dealing with. You can also try some insecticidal soap. Try it on a test area first, since peppers are sensitive to some of these sprays.

• @Judy that would actually make sense too because I have seen those little red mites on some of the plants before. Thanks @Catherine Smith, I was thinking about getting some insecticide spray too. ~Ben N

• Carla Seif

boil a few cayenne peppers then strain into a spray bottle, spray the plants with that. an all natural alternative to insecticides

• Carla Seif

I would test a few leaves 1st just to make sure ;)

• @Carla Seif I like that idea!

• Kerrin

Epsom salt might help, as well. I have something similar going on with my peppers and that is what I am going to try. Also, using lemon or peppermint oil might help (diluted in a spray bottle full of water). The cayenne suggestion also is a great organic remedy.

• Carla Seif

Good Luck, hope it works for you ;)

• Catherine Smith

Add a couple of DROPS of dishwashing liquid to that cayenne recipe, Carla. Dish soap peels the protective layer off insects and helps the insecticide work more quickly.

• Betty Brady

I have problems like that once in a while too. I discovered it was ants eating mine plus the sun burning them so I sprayed with EcoSmart organic, non-toxic (to humans and pets) and watered from the bottom of the plant. I also prune my peppers (tomatoes, beans and grapes) regularly. The plants grow faster and produce more fruit because they are not using all their food to produce the foliage. Carefully cut the damaged leaves off, they will not be missed (you do not want to totally denude the plant though - leave enough leaves to protect the maturing fruit.