Would it look right to put an outdoor kitchen under screened pool?

WILLIAM WHEELERBci33654036Daniel James
+24

I just moved into this house coming from a house in the country from lots of land; so this type of home is very new to me. It's a typical Florida home with a screened in pool. I want to add a hot tub and a place that I can add my BBQ pit and flat top grill, plus a place to sit and eat. I've included pictures of my pool area as it is now (I close in a week). I also included a picture of a "room" with a hot tub and bar. Would it look weird to build something like that in that big blank space under the screen room?
  • Sandy
    Sandy

I visited a friend that had very similar set up - he had a stone faced bar and kitchen built in and the whole area started under the house roof and extended out into the screened area. that allowed to still serve beverages, etc during wet weather- the cooking area extended out under screen - the rock was a great match

• Sarah A. Victory
    Sarah A. Victory

It sounds like a great idea but whom ever you get to do the work should know what local codes permit. Congrats on your new home, looks terrific!

• Lacy Smith Hornberger
      Lacy Smith Hornberger

@Sarah A. Victory OMG, yes! I have heard nightmares of people that don't get permits and they make them tear the entire structure down! Thank you so much.

• Judy Millett
    Judy Millett

I think it would be a terrific addition to the entertaining space, !

• Carol Dailey
    Carol Dailey

that would be awesome, but in Florida there are some strict code we have to go by, just make sure you get a good constrution company, permits and such because if it's not to code they will make you trar it down! Carol in Port Saint Lucie,Fl

• Michelle
    Michelle

It could be beautiful if done right, like before check with codes, I'd think you would need ventilation for the grill & flattop, you've got plenty of space for the cook area as well as the dining area, add lots of color, after all it is your space do what makes you smile every time you see that area.

• Connie Phillips
    Connie Phillips

I try to stay as far away from the kitchen as possible. In fact my ex said if I ever wanted to hide, I should hide in the kitchen. No one would think to look for me there, lol. Btw, what a beautiful pool.

• Johnchip
    Johnchip

It is "too heavy" looking a structure, too 'closed in' for the open space. I have no idea why you would want any structure. I would design a nice open kitchen and put a hot tub in with some nice plantings, aviary, fountain, whatever around it. Any 'structural' elements should coordinate with the metal work of the existing metal screen structure.

• Polly Zieper
    Polly Zieper

I live in sFL and most people who have backyard pools have the screen enclosure pictured, otherwise the mosquitos make the swimming season very short. An outdoor kitchen is a bonus!I envy neighbors who have a grill, sink, some have a minifridge, also. Enjoy!

• Teresa Tomasulo
      Teresa Tomasulo

@Polly Zieper I whole-heartedly agree with you! Screened-in patios/swimming pools are essential in Florida! Make the most of your area. You will not regret it! A plus is putting in potted plants/herbs to make your space feel "softer". Gecko's are harmless but their sudden movements have always frightened me and plus if it is on a canal...alligators...so the screened-in area is a must. If you can tolerate the humidity in the summer, you will have an all-essential bonus room year around. Florida is very pretty. Best wishes to you and your new home.

• Christin Adree
    Christin Adree

Yes, that could absolutely work, depending on the theme you would use. I would incorporate such a kitchen int a tikky lounge or spa bistro. You will have to work with an extra large exhaust hood tho, so you do not have to worry about cooking fumes fogging up your glass and leaving deposits, like smoke from a grill a fat.

• Dorothy
    Dorothy

Absolutely, why miss all the fun running back and forth to the kitchen?

• Diane Claeys Biedenweg
    Diane Claeys Biedenweg

My only concern would be whether or not the concrete is strong/thick enough to hold the weight of a filled hot tub.

• Leah M
    Leah M

I would guess that if your grill is gas, it would be safe. I wouldn't put a charcoal grill in without some sort of venting, even though the porch is screened.

• Shirley Russel
    Shirley Russel

Yes my husband and I are redoing our kitchen in the lanai and we are buying a Kenyon Grill it is electric no smoke and no fire the coils are protected and easy to clean

• Lainey Howell
    Lainey Howell

As long as there is sufficient ventilation, I see no problems with the concept.

• Shirley Russel
    Shirley Russel

They have portable ones to or built in you can even use them indoors

• Shirley Russel
    Shirley Russel

also ours is under the roof of the lanai

• Jean DeSavage
    Jean DeSavage

Considering the large empty area at the end of the pool, it looks like the perfect space for your "kitchen" and eating area. If there's room at the other end I would put the hot tub there or in the middle on the side. away from the kitchen area.

• Daniel James
    Daniel James

Reallyit’s your very good plan. It will be a very nice look if you are doing likethis. Outdoor kitchen under pool, Gazebo etc are the beauty of home. Beforesome months I decorated my home with Stylish Gazebo with the help of SunJoyIndustries and really it was amazing. So you may take help of that for your anyrequirements. Thank you.

• Bci33654036
    Bci33654036

Would like to put in a wood burning pizza oven in my lanai, my only concern will the smoke damage my screen ? Thank you so much
  • WILLIAM WHEELER
    WILLIAM WHEELER

Yes