Donna Marie P
Donna Marie P
  • Buffalo, NY

What kind of plant is this???

JRSChristina DorregoLeslieb127
+53

It's growing like wildfire in my yard and i've never seen it before.
q what kind of plant is this, gardening
q what kind of plant is this, gardening
q what kind of plant is this, gardening
  • Jamie M

New one on me too!

• Michelle G

Well, it's an awfully pretty weed if it is one. :)

• Terri W

looks like phlox...was your yard always like this, or is it a house you bought recently??

• Terri W

if it is phlox they spread underground with rhizomes...

• Terri W

NOT phlox...(due to non-smooth edges) hmmm good luck with that!

• Leighton B

milk weed

• Shannon S

This could be the weed that tries to take over my herb garden - is it really easy to pluck out of the ground? Because the weeds I have that look like this are easily plucked.

• Patricia D

If it's growing like wildfire, it's probably a weed or an awfully invasive perennial = boo.

• Christiane S

I don't know what it is, but if I like the looks of a wild plant I keep it for a while or transplant to another area if it is not where I would like it. Wild native plants require very little in upkeep and care.

• Criss N

could it be bachelor buttons?

• Michelle C

Not sure what it's called but has pretty yellow flowers when it blooms....I have some too

• Pam H

They look like possibly Sweet William, very pretty late spring flowers

• Kathy B

look like the blue Hybrid bachelor buttons I have some blooming right now in my yard in Iowa

• Kathy B

If the yellow flower goes with them then I don;t know

• Annelise B

does it have a smell when you break the leaves?

• Laura S

I think that I would thin it out pretty drastically, but keeping a few to see if you like them, if not then you only have a little bit to take out. You can also see what the root stock is, that will help identify the plant

• Vicki W

The purple color inside the one pic suggests wild sage, at least that is what it looks like up here... Take to local AG office and have them tell you then POST IT here . :)

• Kay C

I think its an abusive wildflower I love those have them not really a bad but the flowers are terriffic. they sell them at lowes! Purple daisy like considered to be invasive..Keep rocks around them and they cant get out.

• Missy C

skunk cabbage?

• Carol S

I think same weed ..I have keeps coming back..part energizer bunny!!!

• Patricia H

frightening, but the 'purple' suggests it might be 'Pokeweed'. I found some that birds must have planted in my yard a couple years ago. Hard to get rid of, but interesting to see. Grows huge!!! (if that is what it is)

• Bernice J

Take some into Miner's - their garden dept. folks are VERY well versed in all this stuff!

• Paula H

sweet william

• Alicia B

I would go with milk weed as well I was so allergic to it as a child and it looks just like it! It will get large green seed pods later in the summer if it is. They will erupt and seeds will blow like beautiful large snow flakes!

• Stacy G

I would say that is phlox, it will flower in the summer

• Beth O

if it is a weed pluck out one of the bunches the smallest and take it to a farmers market there are always the county extension agent at them this time of year they would know. good luck

• Sharron W

It's NOT Bachelor Buttons the leaves are entirely too wide and too closely spaced, it's not sweet William for the same reason. It's NOT Phlox, the entire leaf is too large and again too closely compacted... It almost looks like an asiatic lily, like the stargazer lily but without having something to show the scale of the plant it's hard to say...

• Janice S

The purple stem and rough edges tell me its a weed.

• Janice S

You have two different plants there. The bushy one is a flower.

• Linda M

It's a weed and it will choke out other plants

• Donna K

I agree with Sharron W. Not any of those plants. It looks like some kind of Helios (yellow flowers). Fiberous, or tap root? What do they do throughout the year, and kind of seed pods? Remember... a rose in a field of wheat is the "weed"... :) <3 oh,and, I don't know what it is. LOL

• Terri M

Let one grow to see what it is. If it is a milk weed that i have they are beautiful pink round blooms and smells very fragrant. If it is a phlox they are beautiful flowers as well. Take a leaf to your closest gardener he should know.

• Sarah H

it's a weed! I have it in my yard too.

• Carol Ann G

It isn't Bachelor Buttons. I have a large bed where they are growing profusely. The leaves are right. The leaves don't look big enough for milkweed (the food for the monarch butterfly caterpillar).

• Angela Y

Anaphalis, This is a weed. Does it flower?

• Tod M

It is a type of Lilly and they are about to bloom in No. Cal

• Tod M

Mine have Yellow Flowers and I have a few with Orange Flowers.

• Susan F

The third picture, the one with the purple in the middle, looks like purple coneflower to me except I never had ones with jagged leaves. Could there be some other variety of coneflower that has leaves like that?

• Tina L

It's a weed, yank it out before it goes to seed

• Liz

Centaurea? The blue bachelor buttons type that spreads.

• Cheryl K

It looks like a Phlox to me too...as I have many in my flower bed and I was the one that put them there. They will take off and get fairly tall too.

• Donna R

Queens Annes Lace. They are a weed but if you let them grow and use them for cut flowers you can put food coloring in the water and the flowers will change to that color.

• Lindsey C

looks like swamp daisies/swamp sunflower. if it gets 6 feet tall with yellow blooms in the fall, then that's what it is! i love it, except it can get heavy as it grows and fall over. i've been told that you can cut it to about 3 ft in June to encourage bushiness and more blooms.

• Bernice H

Ha! Interesting post! What IS this mysetry Plant, and will she tell us when she finds out???

• Dauna O

I think that it IS Mexican Sage, but would have to see it in bloom to know for sure. It has tall purple flower, like salvia and is very pretty when planted in a mass grouping witn corepsis or Rudbeckias blooming next to it.

• Sandy R

bachelor button?

• Renee B

Probably a wild flower of some kind...if it's got a square stem it is an invasive plant and most likely a weed. But, it's pretty.

• Sharron W

@Susan F. Coneflower leaves are hairy aren't they? Or am I confused...I haven't had any in several years since I reworked my beds but I thought I remembered them being prickly... @Renee B a square stem is usually identified with plants related to the Mint family and while they CAN be invasive, they can also be controlled and quite useful...

• Terri M

i have cone flowers and the leaves do not look like that

• Donna Marie P

Well thanks everyone .... lots to think about ... I'll figure it out and let you know.

• GrandmaCarol Speight

@Donna Marie P did you ever find out what it is?....Ever consider of digging up a speciman and taking it to a garden centre that employees someone with a degree in plant identification? I would include all the photos you have accummulated over time, of the plant as well. Good luck,(IF still on an identifying mission..lolol)......and will wait to hear the outcome!

• Jill Thurow

It is a weed.

• Leslieb127

I love all these answers, but have one comment. There is no such thing as a "weed". As a horticulture major in college I learned that the definition of a weed is simply "a plant out of place". A daisy in the middle of a rose garden is therefore a weed, for example. So whatever the plant is (and I agree that it would help tremendously to see the flower it produces), it is only a weed if you decide it doesn't belong there.

• Sue Kiene

LOL you have it backwards. All flowers are weeds. We just like some of them and dislike others. Have a wonderful day!!!1

• Christina Dorrego

I remember my dad (who was a bit critical when it came to me, only child) commented on a plant I bought that I loved. it was a coleus and I thought the reds and greens were very striking. When I proudly showed him this colorful and slightly fuzzy plant he said, " you know that's a weed, right?" and that was over 20 years ago. I thought to myself, but I like it, so to me it isn't a weed!!! That stuck with me, and even a rose is a weed. In fact, every single plant we have are weeds. We just like them placed here and there....so pphhtttt on "that's a weed". If I like it, it's a gorgeous planned garden.

• JRS

The definition of a weed is a plant you don't want.