Jamie Baker
Jamie Baker
  • Kingsville, MD
Asked on Jun 12, 2013

When do I pick my sugar snap peas?

Sal kempleCaroline PfeifferDawn Howard
+6

My Sugar snap peas are getting to the point where I can start to pick them, but how do I know when they are really ready? I have some pod that are fat, and some that are flat with the peas clearly visible. Thank you!
when do i pick my sugar snap peas, gardening
  • KMS Woodworks

When I grew these, I never really got the chance to "harvest" as every time I worked in the garden I would nibble and snack on them. We cook a fair amount of stir fry and like to use them before the peas get too big.

• Catherine Smith

Looking good, I would start sampling right now. I had the same problem, we'd eat so many off the vine, I'd be lucky to have enough to cook for dinner. They are soooooooo good fresh.

The shoots make a delicious saute, too.

• Melody

We love them in salad.

• Dawn Howard

the sugar snaps can be picked thinner or as they are meant fatter. Leave them too long and they start to go to seed -- the shell lightens and peas will lose their sugar!

• Nancy Hatcher

Try picking several different sizes and see which one you like the best. I also can't seem to get them to the kitchen along with asparagus, snow peas and berries. The fresher the veg/fruit, the better they taste to me.

• Dawn Howard

Nancy, we've had a lot of rain here lately, and the asparagus and broccoli is drippingly delisious straight out of the garden right now.

• Caroline Pfeiffer

I pick the peas when the pods are full and firm. Otherwise they are really small and not much to them .Don't let them get too old because they won't be very tasty

• Sal kemple

Sugar peas are picked when full and in the early morning hours. They will remain crisp then.