Linda
Linda
Asked on Jun 12, 2013

I can't find the mix for washing strawberries to stop molding

Catherine SmithFreda FlemingCarolyn
+1

Somewhere and sometime in May I saw a mixture of bleach and water that kills the mold spores on strawberries, they will stay fresh for at least a week. I have a bushel of strawberries. I can't remember the % of bleach to water! HELP
  • Gayle Valverde

This REALLY works and I'm doing an experiment with it...23 days in the refrigerator so far! When you get your berries home, prepare a mixture of one part vinegar (white or apple cider probably work best) and ten parts water. Rinse them and allow to dry completely and then refrigerate. :)

• Carolyn

I think I will have to try this one. I like the idea of vinegar rather than bleach.

• Freda Fleming

I use the vinigar wash for all my fruit and some veggies, it will kill any fruit flies, bacteria, and the acid in it will remove any mold and wax on apples. I soak them for about 10 minutes giving them a couple of stirs just to loosen any dirt etc.

• Catherine Smith

Good idea, I use a vinegar wash on any fruits or veggies I buy from the grocery store. Vinegar also helps reduce and eliminate any pesticide that may be left. It's a great sterilizer for many things.