Sherrie S
Sherrie S
  • Debary, FL

Deck needs something pretty to replace bird bath

KMS WoodworksDouglas HuntSherrie S
+19

I want to replace the bird bath in the middle of the deck because it is between a waterfall and a koi pond so I don't really use it, nor do the birds. I would like a colorful plant that can take full sun - there is no shade in that area. The planting area is 3' in diameter.
Replace bird bath with?
Replace bird bath with?
  • Sandra R

Because it looks like you need the height at that spot you could use the birdbath as a planter. Use a combination of tall plants and some viney ones (wave petunias)

• Sherrie S

Sandra R, I googled wave petunia and it is beautiful. I'm going to buy some but won't put them on the deck. I've got many places that get at least some shade. All day sun on that part of the deck is too much for most plants. Thank you for the great plant choice.

• Pat B

I saw a bird bath with sedum that fell over the edge. Also, use different sedums. I guess you would have to drill some drainage holes.

• Sherrie S

Pat B, I recently purchased sedum dragons blood to see how it will do in Florida. I haven't used the bird bath/fountain because it is so sunny/hot no bird would go near it. I'd like to move it to the backyard as a fountain so I'm looking for a large bush or small tree with a lot of color for the deck.

Sherrie, you could look for a lantana or hibiscus trained as a standard. I recently planted two "Painted Lady" hibiscus in a similar situation on my sister's terrace and they are doing very well. I'm not sure if you have room for it there, but thryallis is a large shrub (6 feet high and wide) that blooms virtually non-stop and will take all that sun in stride.

• Tina T

I was thinking lantana also,(Which would be beautiful) but after taking a good look @ the landscaping, I think maybe tropical cannas would be gorgeous there and add to a more tropical feel. :)

• KMS Woodworks

you could also go the low maintenance route and put in an artful sculpture or fountain type thing. http://largeart.com/detail.aspx?ID=202

• Ken H

Something that looks like an exotic red-leaf maple would really stand out there.

• Donna McCrummen

I agree with Ken a Weeping Japanese Maple - I love mine.

• Brenda T

Crepe myrtle would give height and color to this area. It is difinately eye catching when in bloom and strong enough to hang baskets of flowers from it when out of season.

• Sherrie S

KMS, nice sculpture - only $4,995.00 on sale. You need that at your cabin. Douglas, I do like the hibiscus. Lantana is too short. Trouble with maples, although beautiful, is they are too big. I don't want to totally block the Koi pond or waterfall. Brenda, crepe myrtle is also something I like. Thank you all for the help. I'm ready to go shopping.

• Ken H

Sherrie, Red Maples are small, and grow slow - if it does partially block the pond, it will become a 'surprise' for the garden browsers, behind the red maple.

• Sherrie S

Ken, the birdbath is 3 1/2 feet high. The Tiki umbrella is about 12' . I don't want any plant as tall as the Tiki umbrella. I also want color during summer - I hibernate in late fall and winter.

• Laura D

Or you could make a beautiful planter out of it,baby tears hanging off sides with succulents in middle

• Sherrie S

Laura, this is what I found out about baby tears: Sun Exposure: Sun to Partial Shade, Light Shade, Partial to Full Shade, Full Shade. This is Florida - Sun to partial shade doesn't mean Florida sun. The area I want to plant is full, burning hot sun.

• Sherrie S

Hey everyone I just thought of the right word I learned on hometalk. POP. I want to move the birdbath. I want to replace it with a plant that POPs. A plant that is colorful, loves full FLORIDA sun, is less than 8' high. I should been more precise in the beginning. Hmmm is that possible?

Sherrie, the thryallis will do that. Or how about Texas sage?

• Sherrie S

Douglas, Thryallis in bright yellow or Hibiscus with many gorgeous colors look like the winners for that spot. Now I have to get someone to move that very heavy bird bath to the backyard. The birds & I say thank you all so very much.

• Linda P

I love the picture you have posted, this is exactly what I want to do for my front yard. Very beautiful.

• Sherrie S

@Douglas Hunt last year in May I took one of your suggestions & replaced the big fountain with a double red hibiscus that is blooming now. It is perfect & I wanted to thank you.

You are most welcome, Sherrie. I'm glad it worked out for you and hope it will long be happy there.

• KMS Woodworks

I think I'm living in the wrong climate...you talk about blooming hibiscus...I look out my window and its snowing....again. I look at the calendar and it says May 9th surely I must be in some type of time travel worm hole.