Adrienne Sajecki
Adrienne Sajecki
  • New Port Richey, FL
Asked on Jun 12, 2013

How do you use neem oil?

Catherine SmithKimberly BarneyDouglas Hunt

I have 2 gardenia trees that always have a problem with aphids and mealy bugs. I have a few ladybugs on them, and I know they will help. But they are infested, and I read that neem oil will not harm the ladybugs.

I would not trust a claim that neem oil sprayed directly on ladybugs will not harm them. What is true is that it, like insecticidal soap, has no residual effect. I would be shooing away the ladybugs before I sprayed either. As a further caution, make sure you check the label about safe temperatures for use. Many should not be used when it is above 90.

• Kimberly Barney

Mint is a natural deterant to aphids and ants.

• Catherine Smith

Neem, while organic, is one of the "heavy hitters" of organic insecticides. I'd start with the insecticidal soap and work my way up. And as Doug suggested shoo the ladybugs out of the way. They feed on aphids and mealy bugs which explains why you have so many around.