Gretchen Colyer
Gretchen Colyer
  • Brownwood, TX
Asked on Jun 13, 2013

Wheelbarrow planter

Gretchen ColyerDouglas Hunt

I see many people that use wheelbarrows as planters and I really enjoy the look. I have one that belonged to my father and I would like to use it in my yard. However, I do not know how to prepare it. Should I paint the inside with a rust inhibitor paint, line it with something like bubble wrap or something entirely different that would keep the bottom from rusting out. Then...what type of flowers or plants. I live in Texas and where I plan to put it will get a fair amount of sun. I once again will appreciate any information that you can pass on.

I don't know about the paint but I think you should be prepared to drill holes in the bottom for drainage. I think you have a lot of options when it comes to plants. If you did succulents, you would have to worry less about sun and water (and rust).

• Gretchen Colyer

I really appreciate your input. I never thought about planting succulents.