Dyanne
Dyanne
  • Phenix City, AL
Asked on Jun 13, 2013

My mom's old bed needs repair. How do I repair this?

ZTrent-Tonya SharpCatherine Smith
+8

I am 65 yrs. old my mom & dad had this set before I was born. This is a bed with big posts on each side. There is some type of wood overlay on the headboard that has cracked and pieces keep falling off. I use this bed. What can I do? I want to pass this to my children.
q my mom s old bed needs repair how do i repair this, painted furniture
  • Catherine Smith

Well, I can tell you that's veneer that's peeling. It's such a beautiful piece of furniture, I think I'd consult a professional to see what can be done to restore it for you. I love these old pieces and you're has such an interesting personal history. :)

• Lori J

Veneer can be repaired, but I with Catherine. I would find an expert. You might start by calling some upscale antique shops/dealers. I would imagine they might have a connection.

• Dyanne

Thanks Catherine & Lori for the speedy reply. I will locate an expert.

• Z

What a beautiful bed Dyanne. Though you can find veneer to DIY, unless you have the right equipment getting it to adhere properly wouldn't be an easy task on the waterfall area that has most of the damage. Here's a video showing it done on a drawer front using an iron. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiCP2S4UZk0 And another that shows a little more of the process. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFKyih1cD-I I couldn't find a video with great detail all in one, but hopefully these two will give you an idea if it's something you want to tackle or hire someone to help. I wish I had the time and lived close enough to you. I love bringing old furniture back to life. Rarely is any piece too far gone to repair if you want to make the effort. It's not as easy as painting, but as you'll see in the second video, well worth it. Good luck!

• Lori Choman

Yeah I agree, you are going to need some antique veneer but it can be fixed.

• Dyanne

Thanks everyone for your help. Becky, I viewed that video & yea, this would not be a job for an inexperienced person. I will find a professional. I just "love" hometalk! Everyone is soooooo helpful on all the sites!

• Dyanne

After I get it fixed, I will post a picture of my improved antique bed!

• Catherine Smith

Please do, Dyanne. Looking forward to seeing it. :) I too love Hometalk. So many new and interesting ideas from some extremely creative and talented people.

• Z

Even with my experience refinishing furniture I would not take on re-veneering your Mom's bed because of the curved areas. I'm glad you'll look for someone professional to repair this beautiful piece for you. Good luck! I'll be looking forward to seeing the end results.

• Trent-Tonya Sharp

go to, Jocie@opc the better half, on hometalk she repaired an antique chair with the same problem and it looks great and she DIY it herself look at her post i clipped it under my furniture board

• Z

@Trent-Tonya Sharp, Jocie filled and painted the damaged area of her chair. I think @Dyanne wants to restore the bed to it's original glory. Jocie did a great job on those chairs though didn't she?