Make a Floor Cloth From a Drop Cloth

In the 're-do' of my laundry room, a runner was high on the list of needed items. However, after feeling like the failed prince in Cinderella with a rugs too dark, too light, too busy or too small, I did what any self respecting crafter would do...I made my own.
I started off with a 6' by 9' painters drop cloth that I purchased at Home Depot. I primed it with 2 coats of latex primer and followed it with 2 coats of latex interior paint that I had lying around.
Once the initial base coats were dry, I folded the ends over to 'hem' my drop cloth. I used my trusted piece of chalk to mark the fold edges and then I used double sided carpet tape to secure the hem
I had doodled a pattern on a piece of paper and used a pencil to draw that pattern on the floor cloth, then went over my pencil lines with white acrylic paint.
I did find that the white was too 'white' , so I went back over it with a 'beiged-down' and watered -down white to tone the white down.
Once I was happy with my design, I coated the entire rug with 3 coats of polycrylic. I opted for a water based sealant to avoid the yellowing that comes with oil based sealers.
Once the sealant was dried, I put the rug in my laundry room and stood back to love on it. This floor cloth was the perfect solution:
1. The size I wanted
2. The color I wanted
3. Can be easily washed. I knew I wanted a light color, which would not normally be a great choice for such a high traffic area. But since I can just wipe the inevitable dirt off...it's perfect
To see what else I did in my Laundry Room for the One Room Challenge, check out my blog, listed below.

31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
15 Memorial Day Crafts
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Lynn @ Nourish and Nestle

• Gail

Do these not slip or slide underfoot? I reread and don't see that addressed.

• Melissa

Laura Caragher that's a GREAT IDEA! Find a cheap rug at a yard sale & proceed with the listed instructions here to give you that real rug feel/look.

• Zanne Goldwire

What brand of double sided tape did you use?...after washing does the double sided tape hold up without coming undone? ... some previous projects I've done it came apart after washing, even on a delicate cycle.

• Donna Lynn Pounds

If you apply enough poly - 10 coats, you can clean them with a mop. I had one I made at my front door for at least 7 uears. Loved it!

• Dpbeee2

Very nice looking! I was intrigued by this project. Does the coating help keep it in place or would you need one of those under rug pads to prevent slipping?

• Easy does it

Easy Does It

I love look. I plan to make some for the house. I will make one for the deck also.

• Fe Bourne

You might want to lighten your grout to give a total mono-clean look to the room. But either way this is a laundry room to dream for, I am inspired!