Make a Floor Cloth From a Drop Cloth

In the 're-do' of my laundry room, a runner was high on the list of needed items. However, after feeling like the failed prince in Cinderella with a rugs too dark, too light, too busy or too small, I did what any self respecting crafter would do...I made my own.
I started off with a 6' by 9' painters drop cloth that I purchased at Home Depot. I primed it with 2 coats of latex primer and followed it with 2 coats of latex interior paint that I had lying around.
Once the initial base coats were dry, I folded the ends over to 'hem' my drop cloth. I used my trusted piece of chalk to mark the fold edges and then I used double sided carpet tape to secure the hem
I had doodled a pattern on a piece of paper and used a pencil to draw that pattern on the floor cloth, then went over my pencil lines with white acrylic paint.
I did find that the white was too 'white' , so I went back over it with a 'beiged-down' and watered -down white to tone the white down.
Once I was happy with my design, I coated the entire rug with 3 coats of polycrylic. I opted for a water based sealant to avoid the yellowing that comes with oil based sealers.
Once the sealant was dried, I put the rug in my laundry room and stood back to love on it. This floor cloth was the perfect solution:
1. The size I wanted
2. The color I wanted
3. Can be easily washed. I knew I wanted a light color, which would not normally be a great choice for such a high traffic area. But since I can just wipe the inevitable dirt off...it's perfect
To see what else I did in my Laundry Room for the One Room Challenge, check out my blog, listed below.

Lynn @ Nourish and Nestle

• Cat33841265

Did you staple or tape the canvas down before you primed it?

...So it wouldn't wrinkle as the material shrunk

• Gail

Do these not slip or slide underfoot? I reread and don't see that addressed.

• Zanne Goldwire
    2 hours ago

What brand of double sided tape did you use?...after washing does the double sided tape hold up without coming undone? ... some previous projects I've done it came apart after washing, even on a delicate cycle.

• Michelle James
    5 hours ago

I love this. We have such a hard time finding the size and color we want for our kitchen and we are constantly washing them due to our cats. This may be the perfect solution. Thank you for sharing!

• Easy does it
    2 hours ago

Easy Does It

I love look. I plan to make some for the house. I will make one for the deck also.