Asked on Jun 13, 2013

Have this plant or is it a weed...

PegEllen HDouglas Hunt
+5

Leaves are large green and and tiny purple flowers. Coud lt it be violas

Can you post a photo, Linda?

• Linda (WHITEWEATHEREDHUTCH)

Here is the plant.

have this plant or is it a weed, flowers, gardening, this is the plant that has small purple flowers and can become evasive

It looks like a viola leaf to me.

• Linda (WHITEWEATHEREDHUTCH)

Thanks, another blogger just mentioned that as well. I always thought is was a weed because it took over the gardens.

Weeds are in the eye of the beholder.

• Peg

I dug up the little purple and the little white violas that were in my lawn when I bought this old place. (I hate to throw any places out!) I put them in groups of their own color. Every spring I have this amazing bloom of purple patches and whites patches. They reseed and can be a pest, so I have to keep them in an area that I don't care how many grow.

• Ellen H

I have a high tolerance for the "weedy" violet - I love them so I Iet them grow. Then in late spring/early summer I pull them out of my flowerbeds by the armloads so that my perennials can have room to grow and spread. By the time I get ready to pull them, they are 8-10 inches tall so they are not too hard to pull really. I might as well love them since I don't think I'll be getting rid of them very easily :)

have this plant or is it a weed, flowers, gardening
  • Peg

They are the first blooms of the spring so they are a welcome sight for this winter dreary gal. I do the same Ellen, I pull them out where I want room for other plants to grow.