Josie
Josie
  • Quasqueton, IA
Asked on Jun 13, 2013

4 year old blueberry bush doesnt produce any fruit

360 Sod (Donna Dixson)JosieDouglas Hunt
+11

My blueberry bush blossoms, but does not produce any fruit. What could be the problem?
  • KMS Woodworks

Have you noticed any bees about?...Blueberries are pollinated by bees, the bee population has taken a big hit in the last few years.

Do you only have one plant? Blueberries generally do better with two varieties planted in close proximity to provide cross-pollination.

• Catherine Smith

Agree with Douglas, most blueberries need a "neighbor" to set fruit.

• Jossi

I agree with ALL of the above, and also, have you pruned the bush and removed any deadwood ? I'd plant a few more bushes of different varieties, feed with appropriate fertilizer and be mindful of water needs, too.

• Catherine Smith

Do note these are acid loving plants so chose the proper type of fertilizer and or amendments for best results.

• Sharon

they are also shallow root plants ,so watch w/ digging/mowing,etc... they love pinestraw and must have a partnerplant of different variety... good time now to by a good sized one on sale and plant it out...also they love water,but not soggy feet...full to mostly sun... don't prune in spring

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Was going to answer, but wow, great information from everyone! Well done!

• Josie

All good advice, but I don't think any of these is the problem. I have 11 plants, 5 different varieties. Ten of them are 2 year old plants, and one is a 4 year old. I give them Mir-acid for fertilizer. I prune them each year. They are in there own little garden like setting, so mowing isn't an issue. I'm at a complete loss.

• Catherine Smith

Hmm, this has me scratching my head. I need to think about this one a bit, and I'm going to call a couple of my MG buddies to see if anybody might have more ideas about how to fix your problem.

Did you do a soil test before you planted? A fertilizer like Mir-acid will only do so much in terms of changing the pH of the soil, and blueberries definitely want acidic soil.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

I wonder if there is too much nitrogen in your fertilizer. hmm you are getting bloom but no fruit. Are the blooms falling off before setting fruit? Are they all rabbiteye? Are they early, mid or late season? Cold snap bad timing maybe?

• Josie

This one blooms a lot earlier than the rest. Could that be the problem? Do they need to bloom together? The blooms stay on; they just don't grow into fruit.

• Josie

I haven't checked the pH this year. I'll try that. Although last year the pH was good, and still no berries.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

If there isn't another blueberry bush in bloom at the same time that could very well be the problem. If you can identify the variety, you might try getting another of a different variety of the early season bloomers and see if that solves the mystery. Of course you won't know until the new plant blooms at the same time as the older one!