Carrie MakingLemonade
Carrie MakingLemonade
  • Blue Bell, PA

5 Tips for Perfect Outdoor Planters

After much trial and error, I discovered 5 foolproof tips for how to plant in outdoor planters, plus my secret formula for what to plant that works every time. Plus I'll even share two great 'recipes' for stunning plant combinations for both shade and sunshine. Read on to find out!
It's summer, and time to spruce up your outdoor oasis with some gorgeous planters.
Tip: Match your plants to the amount of light they'll receive.  Believe it or not, this stunning flower combination works well in shady areas.
Tip: Match your plants to the amount of light they'll receive. Believe it or not, this stunning flower combination works well in shady areas.
Tip: Go for a 'thriller', a 'spiller', and a 'filler'.  The thriller is the Purple Queen, the spiller is the Creeping Jenny, and the filler is the Verbena.
Tip: Go for a 'thriller', a 'spiller', and a 'filler'. The thriller is the Purple Queen, the spiller is the Creeping Jenny, and the filler is the Verbena.
Leave some room for growth between plants, this is what it looks like on Day One but with proper care it'll fill up in no time.
Tip: Mix up plants by playing with different shades and colors.  I share my favorite plants in various color families in the post, but check out this 'trunk shot' and how the light green pops with purple and bold pink.  Gorgeous!
Tip: Mix up plants by playing with different shades and colors. I share my favorite plants in various color families in the post, but check out this 'trunk shot' and how the light green pops with purple and bold pink. Gorgeous!
Tip: shhhh... your entire planter doesn't need to be filled with soil.  Use a lightweight 'filler' to get more bang for your buck!
Tip: shhhh... your entire planter doesn't need to be filled with soil. Use a lightweight 'filler' to get more bang for your buck!
I'm working on sprucing up my entryway both inside and out, here I painted 'hello' on the front door and you can see my pretty planters peeking around the corner.
All these tips and more can be found at www.makinglemonadeblog.com, stop on over!
Carrie MakingLemonade

• Polly Zieper

Once you've filled a large pot with empty plastic bottles, plant pots, whatever, do you need to put a tray on top of all that 'filler, to put the 'real plant on?

• Marlena

The filler solution is a great idea! I was using anything that I could get my hands on....styro peanuts, styro of any kind, newspaper, and broken pottery/ or plant pots.