How To Make An Umbrella Door Wreath

$55

Having company over and need a quick touch of pizazz to your frumpy front door? Here is your solution! I am all about unique twists on traditional decor ideas and this umbrella door wreath is the perfect example of just that.

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
umbrella door wreath, crafts, doors, how to, repurposing upcycling, wreaths
The bonus is that you can say YOU MADE IT!

Materials I used for this project:
To create this simple and unique door wreath, you'll want to start by spray painting the tip and handle of the umbrella if they're a color you don't like.

I purchased this umbrella for less than $7 on Amazon and was surprised by the hot pink so I wanted to cover that up, and I chose metallic gold to do that.
If you're giving this wreath as a gift, I would not recommend spray painting the handle unless it's wooden as the spray paint does not adhere very well to plastic.
Since this wreath is for my door, I wasn't very worried about it not adhering perfectly.
Once the handle and tip are sprayed and dried, take your sponge brush and paint the umbrella with the primer (you can do this step first if you didn't need to spray paint the tip and handle). You'll want to paint the primer on thick but not so thick that it runs - if you experience running, simply go back over those places to even out the primer.
After your primer dries, paint the umbrella the color of your choice with acrylic paint - I chose purple to contrast with my warm pallete of flowers. Again, you'll want to lay the paint on thick but not so thick that you experience running. Make sure to let the paint dry completely once you've covered the entire umbrella with paint.
Next, cut and arrange the flowers you've chosen. You can use wire clippers or a pair of scissors to cut.
After you've arranged the flowers to your liking, tie your ribbon of choice around the closed umbrella - I recommend tying it close enough to the top that the flowers are gathered close and tight.
Finally, hang your beautiful flower arrangement on your door for all to see and admire!
This project will take a jiffy to make and will cost you the same, if not, less than a pre-purchased ordinary wreath would.

• Iva

Thank you for the idea! Can you still use the painted umbrella as an umbrella when it's raining or the primer and the paint will crack?
    • Lois

i do not see the handle of the umbrella in any pictures. How did you hang it to the door?

• Robyn Garner

Why would you purchase an umbrella when you can easily do this with one that has broken spines? I have a couple I garbage picked for another project.

• Pam/MeMaw

Cute idea, but doesn’t the paint rub off on the door if it wobbles any at all?

• Wanda Woolard

I will definitely use this idea. Love to repurpose so will keep an eye out for umbrella at thrift store. Just so cute. Good job and thanks for sharing.

• Sarge

You have the wheels in my head turning now...you've got me thinking about how to make something like this to put in the garden in my backyard - lined with some weed paper, punch a few draining holes at the bottom, add garden soil and put in some real flowers!!!