How To Make An Umbrella Door Wreath

$55

Having company over and need a quick touch of pizazz to your frumpy front door? Here is your solution! I am all about unique twists on traditional decor ideas and this umbrella door wreath is the perfect example of just that.

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

The bonus is that you can say YOU MADE IT!

Materials I used for this project:

• Hook umbrella
  • Artificial flowers
  • Jute rope
  • Sponge brushes 
  • Spray paint
  • Primer paint  
  • Behr interior exterior color sample  

To create this simple and unique door wreath, you'll want to start by spray painting the tip and handle of the umbrella if they're a color you don't like.

I purchased this umbrella for less than $7 on Amazon and was surprised by the hot pink so I wanted to cover that up, and I chose metallic gold to do that.

If you're giving this wreath as a gift, I would not recommend spray painting the handle unless it's wooden as the spray paint does not adhere very well to plastic.

Since this wreath is for my door, I wasn't very worried about it not adhering perfectly.

Once the handle and tip are sprayed and dried, take your sponge brush and paint the umbrella with the primer (you can do this step first if you didn't need to spray paint the tip and handle). You'll want to paint the primer on thick but not so thick that it runs - if you experience running, simply go back over those places to even out the primer.

After your primer dries, paint the umbrella the color of your choice with acrylic paint - I chose purple to contrast with my warm pallete of flowers. Again, you'll want to lay the paint on thick but not so thick that you experience running. Make sure to let the paint dry completely once you've covered the entire umbrella with paint.

Next, cut and arrange the flowers you've chosen. You can use wire clippers or a pair of scissors to cut.

After you've arranged the flowers to your liking, tie your ribbon of choice around the closed umbrella - I recommend tying it close enough to the top that the flowers are gathered close and tight.

Finally, hang your beautiful flower arrangement on your door for all to see and admire!

This project will take a jiffy to make and will cost you the same, if not, less than a pre-purchased ordinary wreath would.

30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!

• Sarah Kohzad
    Sarah Kohzad

How to make simple bunk bed?

• Kim E
    Kim E

How did you hang it on the door?

• Melin
      Melin

To hang my wreaths and/or decorations on my front door which does not have a knocker, I hammered [gulp!] a long and thin headed nail, which I painted the same color as my door. Can't really see the nail because it matches the door color, so it keeps everyone guessing. Fun stuff!

• Flower girl
    Flower girl

Could you spray paint the fabric of the umbrella too?

• Liz Weiss
    Liz Weiss

Adorable. I'd use a red umbrella and some greens for Christmas.

• Melin
    Melin

This is VERY clever and resourceful, not to mention darling! This has really inspired me because I've always liked a "cone" shaped decoration on my front door for the Christmas season and this is perfect for just that look. Thank you for sharing ... is it December yet?