How to Make a Plaster Panel Mould

Plaster mouldings skills are available in step by step detail in Plasterwork Decorative Moulding. Available as eBook or paperback view the 5 star reviews for this book on this web site www.plasteringbooks.com
TRY BEFORE YOU BUY download 10 sample pages from
http://www.plasteringbooks.com/-downloads-try-before-you-buy.html
A section of the panel Mould
The panel mould is used mainly for running panel or dado mould The template is made from either zinc or aluminium.
Then using tin snips cut out the members of the template , to about 2 mm short of the pencil line, then using a metal file, file down to the pencil line
Prior to start running a panel mould, make sure the bench is well greased, as this will make it easy to lift the mould after it has been run.
Fix a small nail at one end of the running area, this will act as an anchor point
Casting plaster is mixed in a mixing bowl,
Then poured over the running areas, the panel mould is then run over the plaster, and cleaned after each run.
Panel moulds are normally built up in three mixes ,
the final mix being splashed over the surface of the built up panel mould
Panel mould is now run , and left to dry
Once dry it is removed from the bench
eBook available from lulu.com http://www.lulu.com/shop/david-winchester/plasterwork-decorative-mouldings/ebook/product-20936601.html
paperback available from Amazon or lulu http://www.lulu.com/shop/david-winchester/plasterwork-decorative-mouldings/paperback/product-21002489.html

Plastering Books

• Bob Potter

Do you use some kind of releasing agent under the mold to remove it from the bench? and how would you attach this to a wall or ceiling??

• Keith Towers

We used to use tallow (animal fat) back in the 1950s when I apprenticed in the UK.

• Ben Press

How is the molding attached to the ceiling?

• Alhassam Mohammed

How to cut the panel and the blade

• Andre Beluchi

Oh wow, what an interesting way to make a plaster panel mould. Maybe I can try doing this for the project that my father invited me to do at his home. He has plans to put up some mouldings around his house. http://www.vbp.com.au/products/decorative-cornices-and-plastering-molding

• Keith Towers

I started my working life training as a fibrous plasterer but left when I became allergic to the plaster. One of the skills apprentices had to master was making simple running moulds from scrap timber, cutting the template from an empty baked bean can or something similar with tin snips and then running a few feet of dado on the bench. We used to put pins along the centre line of dado to hold the plaster firm after laying the first coat of plaster, keeping it firm and straight. As each coat built up we would drag the running mould towards us until it had cut the correct design. The last coat was usually a splash coat which filled in any imperfections and left a beautiful smooth finish. During my brief time I watched older guys using moulds in situ, some moulds requiring two men to handle, their skill second to none.