New Life for a Vintage Glider and Chairs!

$400

Last summer we found a vintage glider and 2 chairs for sale on a local social media site for $150. Being a lover of all things vintage, I jumped at the chance to breathe new life in these pieces. They were in good shape with very little rust (the brown is paint over the original green paint).
The transformation is more than we could've hoped for.
Enjoy!
The glider is a basket-weave pattern; we took the glider apart and tried to sand it ourselves but it turned out to be a bigger job than we had planned on. We decided to take it to a local shop to be professionally blasted and powder-coated. I believe they charged us about $170 but they did not take out the dent in front (but we did not ask them to so we can't fuss too much).
It took us nearly a year to tackle the chairs as we decided to do them ourselves.
A view of the back of one of the chairs.
We took them apart and sandblasted the pieces individually.
Then we added a couple of coats of primer. (before and after primer)
The end result of the professional job.
Our job: painted and put back together. We purchased primer, paint, and new replacement nuts, bolts, and washers.
I have to give it to my husband! He did an outstanding job. I think I will keep him around.

• Primer
  • Paint
  • Hardware

Bonnie Shirley Coates

• Joni K

Hi Bonnie, I live in Columbia too. Small world. Who does powder coating in this area?

• Bonnie Shirley Coates

@Joni K Hobson Powder Coating in West Monroe. He does great work; all kinds. I saw an antique claw-foot tub he did and it was amazing!

• Gen3376473

We have the glider. The center "loopy" seat is broken. How do we get it repaired?

• Bonnie Shirley Coates

You may be able to take it to a local in your area for repairs. A good welder should be able to fix it with no signs of the repair. Good luck!

• Lee

What kind of a place did you take it to that sand blasted it and powder coated it? I've tried contacting a couple of auto paint shops, but they wouldn't do it.

• Bonnie Shirley Coates

Try to Google powder coating in yout area. Hobson Powder Coating in West Monroe, Louisiana did mine. He does all kinds of metal items and is very affordable. He has a Facebook page. He may know someone in your area.

• Lee

Thank you!

• Lucy Stone

You are awesome!! I have a glider and now I know what to do with it.

• Gail gourley

How did you do your own sand blasting please?

• Bonnie Shirley Coates

You can use a portable sand blaster; my husband had access to an enclosed blaster and used it. The key is to take everything apart, blast, and prime so moisture doesn't creep in and cause rust.

• Vicky Hatton

I love funkifying this old lawn furniture, too. I have found blasters in the "Services" section of Craig's List. If you have a choice, I personally prefer water blasting over sandblasting - it gives a smoother surface. I have paid anywhere from $15 - $30 per chair to have it done.

• Janna Haddix

Vicky Hatton, what is water blasting, and and does it get all the old rust and paint off?

• Lisa House

Stunning!

• Thea

I am with the Australian on this one. I now understand a glider is a bench that moves. But this particular one has an incredibly beautiful design that I’ve never seen before. You did a great job on restoring it.