Christina
Christina
  • Saint Paul, MN

Builder Grade Kitchen Makeover

I love my house, but I don't love the builder grade oak explosion that happened in it. Our kitchen had builder grade cabinets that didn't go all the way to the ceiling. The only light in the kitchen was a fluorescent light that buzzed when it was on! It all needed to be upgraded!
builder grade kitchen makeover, diy, kitchen design
I started by adding trim to the sides of the cabinets to add some character. Once the trim was attached, I primed the cupboards.
To build up the cabinets, I attached boards to the top of the cabinets and the ceiling for MDF to attach to which would enclose the area.
MDF was cut to fit the space and secured with a nail gun.
Moulding was attached at the ceiling to make it look custom! A small piece of trim was added near the cabinet tops to make a seamless look.
Everything was primed and painted 2 coats of Muslin White. We then installed some recessed lighting and 2 pendant lights from Pottery Barn over the island. Stainless steel appliances really finished off the look.
Ace Hardware installed some glass in 2 cabinet doors to make the kitchen feel more open. I think it helped!
And here's the after! It feels completely different and I love the cabinets with the new trim! The dust collecting space above the cabinets is gone! Check out my blog for a more detailed tutorial.
www.mommystoolbelt.com
(Ignore the tape across the floor, the kids use it as a road for their cars!)

Christina

• Gayle

Absolutely outstanding! Your hard work certainly paid off for a stunning makeover!

• Susan

I see the 'before' photo but the only 'after' photo is of the cabinet with the glass, which looks great, but could we see a wider 'after' shot, please? Great job.

• Christina

The very last photo is the after photo! It should be on there :)

• Rowena

How tall are your ceilings? Our ceilings are 8 feet, so if I had to do something like this, would it make the room smaller. I would like to give it an illusion of my ceilings being taller. Thank you

• Christina

Ours are 8 feet also! I feel like bringing the cabinets all the way to the ceiling draws your eye up making it feel bigger!