Abandoned Drawer Into a Gorgeous Flower Planter Using A Stencil

Creating this beautiful planter was super easy - anyone can do it! Best of all - the drawer was free! If I can do it - you can do it!
I couldn't be happier! The finished result!
The old drawer was found by the dumpster. I drilled some drainage holes in the bottom of the drawer and screwed the wooden round "feet" on the bottom 4 corners - 1" away from the edges.
Because this planter was going to be used outside, I decided to use grout instead of joint compound for the raised design - I used interior/exterior unsanded grout from Lowes. Mix according to package directions.
I lightly sprayed Stencil Adhesive on the back of our Trina Vine Stencil - $15.99 on Etsy. (Find it here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/278782098/raised-plaster-stencil-trina-vine-wall?ref=shop_home_active_2)and positioned it on the drawer.
Next, using a putty knife, I applied the grout into the stencil openings, scraping away the excess. I immediately grabbed a corner of the the stencil and gently lifted it towards me, revealing the stenciled design. I then scraped the stencil clean over newspaper - and wiped it down with a paper towel. We'll be needing it again.
LOVE LOVE LOVE the raised design. I love how it looked "as is" but I did want my planter more colorful.
I used an exterior glossy red spray paint and gave it a few coats - letting them dry mostly in between to avoid runs.
Now I replaced the stencil over the raised design so I could add color to the design without making a mess on the rest of the drawer front.
I used a stencil brush and dry brushed acrylic gold paint over the design. After it dried, I sprayed painted the planter with an exterior clear coat for protection against the elements.
I replaced the knobs with decorative ones I found at Hobby Lobby and placed my plants - had a blast picking those out!
I hope you enjoyed our little project - it was uber easy but gave a stunning result!

• Trina Vine Stencil  (https://www.etsy.com/listing/278782098/raised-plaster-stencil-trina-vine-wall?ref=shop_home_active_2)
  • Decorative Knobs  (Hobby Lobby)