Kris Lee
Kris Lee
  • Jackson, WY
Asked on Jun 14, 2013

Need info on a couple of flowering plants in my yard

Kris LeeKellyDouglas Hunt
+8

I have this beautiful mound of white blossoms (well at least they bloomed last year) They are really pretty, not certain what they are. They also don't seem to be doing well this year. They appear to have died in the center. Will post pix when I have them.

Also the purple flower in the 4th photo. Not close up but have had these before and have never been able to identify them. They bloom close to July 4, so I call them firecracker flowers. Long flat leaves, w/purple blossoms that look like a large firecracker burst. The blossoms are in a circle w/a center on them. I'll take better pix when/if they bloom this year.
Just before it blooms entirely
Just before it blooms entirely
close up of the blossoms
close up of the blossoms
after blooming.
after blooming.
This picture has the purple flowers in upper right corner.
This is the candytuft this year.  I don't know what happened.
This is the candytuft this year. I don't know what happened.
This is the purple firecracker flower
This is the purple firecracker flower
another shot of the purple firecracker flower
Need identification on this plant.  I love it.
Need identification on this plant. I love it.

I believe your white flower is candytuft (Iberis sempervirens). From the description of the flower and leaf, I'd guess your blue flowers were either Stokesia or Centaurea.

• Marianne

I agree with Douglas...the white flowers look like candytuft. The blue flowers may be zigzag spiderwort or wideleaf spiderwort.

• Terri Simandl

I think I have those purple flowers also. Will check for your close up to see if they are the same. Mine came from my grandmother

• Nanci Burroughs

Candytuft

• Kris Lee

It does indeed look like candytuft. The blue flowers are not a zigzag spiderwort nor the wide leaf variety. I will post pics as soon as it blooms. I love them and would like to have more of them in my yard. Thanks for your input.

• CindyandGeorge Schaeffer

This may be a silly question for Douglas Hunt but will candytuft grow in South FL or is it too hot here? By the way, my maiden name was Hunt.

• Peg

candytuft! I love how it mounds. I cut the dead flowers off to clean it up as it can look unsightly. Hard for me to see those blue flowers clearly. Need a close up shot.

• Luella Eirsdottir

I believe the purple flower is Centaurea (bachelor's buttons). The other is candytuft.

Cindy, the southern limit is usually listed as Zone 8, and I've never seen if offered here, so I suspect we're too hot. Do you have family from Kansas? That's where my father was from.

• Kelly

Could the purple flower be clustered bellflowers? There is a patch that grows along side a country road I frequently travel. From what I can see in this picture they look similar.

• Kris Lee

The blue/purple flowers are indeed Bachelors buttons. Thanks Luella, pretty good when you can't see the flower very well. I have attached some pics of them this year. Not too impressive. But also need info on the final flower to identify as well as what to do w/the candy tuft, since it seems to not be doing well this year.