Metal Office Cabinet Gets Some ReLove

Yes you can even paint ugly metal office cabinets and file cabinets without priming! One coat of Shabby Chalk-Acrylic Paint in Ice then dry brushed with Garfield Grey.
Before

• Spencer

Can I paint metal cabinets any color?

• Shabby Paints

Yes you can use any of our 40 colors. Be sure to clean thoroughly first. You can get Shabby Paints at Urban Twiggs in Tampa. https://www.facebook.com/Urban-Twiggs-361835513955586/?fref=ts

• Spencer

Thank you so much!! I will definitely check it out in downtown Tampa.... I have ideas of bright vivid colors for this metal cabinet!!!

• Shabby Paints

I just bought 45 metal file drawers from the army base. I'm thinking of a few bold colors myself :) Lots of cleaning in my future :) Share when you are done!! Oh and you will love Urban Twiggs...amazing place.

• Andrea

I have a metal cabinet that was used in a garage to store various chemicals and paint. The person who gave it to me told me on the phone that it had always been stored inside and only needed a light wiping off. I'm concerned about contaminating the food I intended to store in it. I've cleaned it and sanded off rust as well as using naval jelly to remove bad rust in spots where chemicals damaged the shelves. Not sure if the smell is from the naval jelly or previous chemicals stored in it, but I'm deciding whether this is worth more time and money. After storing chemicals, is it safe to store food in a cabinet if I seal it? I'm fine with an industrial look that incorporates blemishes and even has a bare metal look with rust accents. Just want it to be safe.

• Shabby Paints

Andrea, I'm not really sure if it is safe, but I would be concerned as well. Personally, I would strip it all down with vinegar and water, using a foam sanding block. Next paint it with Shabby Paints to seal any off gassing from past chemicals. That way I would feel comfortable it was safe.

• Brenda

Do you have a tutorial of instructions for this too? Also, the pattern design ? I want to do mine just like yours. BUT... I can't find a retailer, to order these or store to go to. (I'm in Syracuse, NY)

• Denise Hardy

These look great and specifically that they are cupboards as we see many of the filing cabinet drawers but not these and I love what you have done to them. Also, love the 'te to te' between you and Linda Dann - lol :)

• Shabby Paints

Thanks @Denise Hardy It is so therapeutic to get to share with like minded craft-aholics. It's like a bad support group that encourages you to buy more but also teaches you how to hide it from your husband lol.

• Denise Hardy

@Shabby Paints - I know exactly what you mean - lol