Janet wender
Janet wender
  • Nashville, TN
Asked on Jun 14, 2013

MUMS My mums are coming up and I don't want to see them yet

Rebecca DBecky (J) PJanet wender
+6

can I cut the mums down and have them regrow for fall?
  • Becky (J) P

the standard rule is to keep them trimmed back til July 4ish....for a fall bloom. I just pinch off blooms or use the scissors if the bush is too big.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

yep, go ahead and whack them back about 1/2 way. This will make them bush more and fall over less.

• Rebecca D

Yep! Good advice ladies! Don’t forget to pluck spent flowers too. Keeps the plant going through out the season. :) I cut mums back in the Fall.

• Becky (J) P

I have had better luck here, leaving the mums tall over the winter for some reason. They seem to come back than if I had cut them back to the ground after a frost. Mums......my favorite!

• Janet wender

thanks everyone so I am going to take scissors and cut them down low and let them grow back for fall. I don't even want them to show in the summer I like them for fall. I just don't want t mess up them blooming in the fall

• Becky (J) P

oh, I wouldn't cut them back to the ground, just trim the tops off every few weeks.

• Janet wender

ok thanks Becky so I can trim them more than once

• Becky (J) P

yes, I go around and pick off the buds whenever I see them.

• Rebecca D

I pick off the buds randomly, until the end of June. My favorite mum is the cascading rock. Burgundy petals w a yellow center.