Teresa C
Teresa C
  • Willow Spring, NC

Does anyone know what this yellow stuff is? It appears on top of some of our mulch.

Spr665240Susan STeresa C
+16

q does anyone know what this yellow stuff is it appears on top of some of our mulch, gardening
  • Walter Reeves

It's called "dog vomit fungus" for obvious reasons. It will dry up and turn black in two days. It's harmless to people and plants....just decomposes mulch.

• Teresa C

Thanks a bunch! It does look awful.

• Dee W

it looks like Lichens. I live in Alaska and the carabou or reindeer eat it

• Susan S

So that's what that is!!! I've had that in my flower beds before but had no earthly idea what it was. EEEEEEWWWWW - pretty gross stuff to be so harmless!!! I guess that IS it's defense.

• Sandra R

Wow! I have never seen anything like that before. It is awful looking, glad I haven't seen it.

• Susan S

@Sandra R. Look away Honey - just look away!!! LOL

• Kathy R

Well thats cool !! We had STINK HORNS pop up here 3 years ago and now they come back every spring. LOL they stink and look rather rude.

• Susan S

@Kathy R. ICK!! I sure am getting a very broad education on this website. Dog vomit & stink horns. Now there's a couple of cocktail party topics!! BTW - what is a stink horn???

• Walter Reeves

I like Kathy's comment that they look rather rude. Check my web page and you'll see why. http://www.walterreeves.com/gardening-q-and-a/stinkhorn-mushroom-identification-and-control/

• Kathy R

lol

• Kathy R

latticed stinkhorn.......... had this one pop up in the lawn. It was fantastic ! Never seen one before and had no idea what it was. I got pics but it was wilting a few hours later.

q does anyone know what this yellow stuff is it appears on top of some of our mulch, gardening, latticed stinkhorn
  • Susan S

Eeeeeewwwwww, yuck!! Looks like invasion of the aliens. So, does it??? Stink I mean? Anything that gross HAS to smell really baaaaad. Thx (I think) for the pic ;~}

• Kathy R

The latticed one above stinks too. Has some sticky stuff inside and the flies stick to it like the stink horns. They have an odd smell, pungent but not like rotting dead things. I cant explain the smell. Fungus fascinates me for some reason. lol

• Teresa C

Thanks to everyone!

• Susan S

@Kathy R. Well no wonder if you looked at Walter's link . . . . . some pretty interesting things there!! LOL

• Spr665240

It's a harmless fungus called dog vomit, it happens when your mulch is extremely damp or moist, as the weather warmer up it will dry up and disappear.