Nancy Bode
Nancy Bode
  • Atkins, IA
Asked on Jun 14, 2013

Too late for green beans?

Catherine SmithDouglas HuntBecky (J) P
+2

I tried planting green beans earlier this spring, but it was so cold and wet that most of my seeds didn't sprout. Is it too late to try again? If it's not too late, should I try replanting in the same raised bed or move to a different bed?
  • Catherine Smith

Not sure what Zone your in, but check the maturity date of the bean you want to plant. I'm in zone 7b and succession plant bush beans at 2 week intervals up until mid July. Give me a continuos harvest with extra for freezing and canning. Beans are tough and should do fine for you.

• Nancy Bode

I live in Iowa, which is zone 5 (5b, I think). If the maturity date here is the same as yours, does that mean I can plant green beans now, then again in two weeks? That would be super! Yes, I'm an uber-novice gardener.

• Becky (J) P

I replanted last year due to "bunny consumption" in July/August. The August date was pretty late, so didn't get a very good crop. I had the same problem, it was too wet when I planted this year, so had to replant.

Definitely give it another shot, Nancy.

• Catherine Smith

I should clarify, we use wide row, wide beds for veggies. When I plant beans, I over seed the bed. Once they start to come, take an iron tooth rake to thin the bed. (that part is hard for beginners, but the shoots are tender in salad and we throw the other extras into the compost bin. My rows are normally 20 ft long, 3 ft wide, so it's easy to reach the middle from both sides without stepping on the bed itself.