A Super Easy Non-Toxic Spring Cleaner

$8-15

I'm always looking for easy-to-make recipes, that are inexpensive and healthy for the home and the garden, especially since we have a bit of an asthma and allergies problem at home. So today I want to share with you the one all-purpose cleaner that I can't live without.
My sparkling clean table after using cleaner
Whether it is the glass dinning table, mirrors, kitchen and bathroom surfaces, or even the greasy stove, this is my staple cleaning product. I even use it to clean the glass shower doors!
Materials > This is all you'll need!
Materials > This is all you'll need!
Take a trip to your nearby pharmacy, dollar store or supermarket to get your ingredients, plus a spray bottle (TIP: If the bottle has graduated label measurements you won't need a separate measuring cup), a scrubber and a kitchen roll.
My favorite is Bounty - it's so absorbent! But you can use a lint free cotton rag instead.
Make it easy! Get a bottle with measurements
To make the cleaner:
Mix equal parts of alcohol and vinegar directly into the spray bottle.
Yes, it is that simple!
A few drops of essential oil add a nice scent
OPTIONAL: Add a couple of drops of your essential oil. I dropped 5 in mine.
a super easy non toxic spring cleaner, cleaning tips, go green
In a separate container add 2 small spoonfuls of baking soda and mix it with your cleaner.
The vinegar will react with the baking soda!
Expect the vinegar (or acetic acid) to react with the bicarbonate creating a bit of sizzling.
Now you're ready to clean!
First, clear up all surfaces-this table sure needs the all-purpose cleaner. :)
Spray a generous amount of your alcohol & vinegar mix and let it sit for a few seconds. If there's dried gooey debris, you can spray twice and wait a little longer.
Add the baking soda mix to the yukiest areas
Or spread and leave the baking soda mix on the dirtiest areas for a minute or two.
Wipe off the soda with the scrubber.
Then grab the kitchen towel and continue wiping off your surface until dry. Reapply spray if necessary and repeat process.
Personally, I like my glass sparkling clean so I often spray more than once, wiping the cleaner off until it is completely dry. And in my last pass, I make sure to grab a clean towel for that extra shine!
Give it a try and let me know how you like it.
Next time I'll show you how to make a healthy mosquito repellent - So, don't go anywhere!

• 1. Alcohol. To prevent residue get the clear with no dye. The 70% Isopropyl is ideal but the 50% wil  (Pharmacy or Dollar Store)
  • 2. Distilled white vinegar  (Pharmacy, Dollar Store, Supermarket)
  • 3. Baking soda  (Pharmacy, Dollar Store, Supermarket)

• Susan Weiler

How do you apply to the shower door so it can sit a while and not all run off? Any suggestions on what to put on the inside of my clear glass shower door after cleaning it so it will stay nice longer?

• Jud27460384

We use the RainX and then keep a squeegee in the shower to use after each shower. It keeps it spot free for a long time.
  • Jeanne Fries

I left my bottle on sink to go answer phone, I came back and pressure in spray bottle misted out and took finish off of wood bathroom cabinet! No stain left even! Will I have to strip wood cabinet and refinish! Can this not be stored Shen mixed in bottle?

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

Good point Marilyn! Even though we are using small amounts, it's always better to be safe Don't think eruptions would be desirable :-)

• Sussieee

Glass topped table is scratched. How can I minimize the scratches, I want to sell it as I'm down-sizing. Thank You, Sussieee@gmail.com

• Keith.sooly.sewell-109519

use a liquid metal polish.like brasso or silvo,,and and cotton wool ball,,and rub liquid liberally in small circles with some pressure, onto the scratched area,,then buff up with fine lint cloth,,this works well also on the car windscreen,if marked by the windsrceen wipers,,

• Foorbe

Be sure to use a glass bottle when using essential oils.

• Elena K, Hometalk Team

@Foorbe I definitely agree! Always use glass with undiluted essential oils. But a couple of drops of essential oil highly diluted and stored in a hard plastic container, away from the direct sunlight—for a mix that won't be applied to the skin—should be safe. You're also making a small amount of cleaner, so that should be ok. With all that said, if you're concerned about plastic leaking into your cleaner, use a glass container.

• MM

Damn those chemicals!