Sharon Romine
Sharon Romine
  • Sitka, AK
Asked on Jun 14, 2013

Can You ID This Plant

Sharon RomineNancy HandPaula
+4

My husband found this bush in the Forest, behind our cabin in North Florida. Can anyone tell us what it is? I has white fuzzy balls on it. Thanks!
can you id this plant, gardening
  • Nancy Hand

Fothergilla plant Zones: 5-9Plant Type:ShrubPlant Height:3-8 feet tallPlant Width:3-6 feet wideLandscape Uses:Containers,Beds & BordersSpecial Features:Flowers,Attractive Foliage,Fragrant,Fall Color

• Sharon Romine

Thank you so much! I googled it now that I have a name and is incredibly pretty in the fall! I've asked my husband to get a couple cuttings to start one in the yard.

• Nancy Hand

They are nice plants and yes the fall color is very pretty. Bees love them when they bloom. :)

I'm not sure that looks like a fothergilla leaf. What time of year was it in bloom?

• Paula

It's a buttonbush, Cephalanthus occidentalis. Takes me right back to my swamp-stomping days in SWFlorida. Look for it on wildflower.org. A great native plant, supplies food for insects and wildlife. Lucky you!

• Nancy Hand

Your right Paula! I looked at the blooms better and I am defiantly wrong. Sorry Sharon!

• Sharon Romine

No problem, Nancy! Still looks like a beautiful plant and very excited about having it!