Deb Ponder
Deb Ponder
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Asked on Jun 14, 2013

What to do with this space

Katie WellsTraciSue davis
+8

We have a huge archway as you walk in our front door - looks lnto our dining room (pool table shown), now playroom.
I've since removed the items you see in the picture because we have young kids.
I'd like to do something creative with this space, but have no clue...wish it would have been closed off so we could at least hang something there.
Any thoughts on paint, deocr, etc.?
archway from front entry looking into dining/playroom
archway looking back into entryway from front door
  • Cyndi Moore Tippett

One idea that comes to mind is to paint the hallway and the "playroom" the same color with one room being a shade darker. To add interest you could also paint the inside of the archway a even darker shade of the same color. You could hang a potted plant, light fixture or a stained glass piece, which would block some of the view w/o losing the view totally. I am not sure what your color taste is and whether you like bold color or more neutrals, but I have been successful with choosing room colors by 1. picking my materials first, then pick a color from those choices. 2. JUST pick a color I like and go for it. The second choice is the riskiest.

• Tracy Bromage

You can still hang something there, what about an antique stain glass window or similar, depending on your style? Or floating glass shelves? Or a large photo floating inside glass frame. I personally would go for the stained glass but that's just my preference.

• Gypsy

Tracy~ I was thinking the same thing. There is so much natural light in the background, stain glass window would look lovely there.

• Judy Gerardi

I think both Cyndi and Tracy are right on with the painting and stained glass. Gives it the wow effect, especially coming in the front door. Good luck..

• Junk Gypsee

I love the two tones of paint idea...but I also think some very sheer panels, draped and attached to the sides would soften the look. The daylight can still filter through..You can buy an arched rod or make your own out of a garden hose, spray painted. You can either make a simple hem or cool rings..no one will ever know that it's a garden hose!! Decide where you want to place it and cut the hose to length. You can attach the hose with U brackets you will find at any hardware store. If you are using a hemmed look, then you'll have have to attach them after the curtains are in place on the hose. Paint them to match the curtain with inexpensive craft paints. It you're wanting the curtain hangers to show, then you'll still have to have your curtains in place, but you can at least move the fabric around and the decorative hangers will hide the U brackets. You can also use a screw in hook, but I'm guessing that it's sheet rock and may not be as stable?? They do have the type that expand when they open...I've always just used the U hooks.... Here is a photo below will give you an idea of the final look that you can play with.

q what to do with this space, foyer, home decor, painting, This is a half arch but the hose can easily go further down if you wish You can also adjust where you want the tie backs Now you have more options if there is a space it is a canvas xoxo
  • Sally holway

See Living Plant Wall below. Could work. Also, how about an art gallery or library or both?

• Deb Ponder

You are all great. I had wondered about hanging a stained glass window there, but also love the idea of sheer panels too. Paint is gong to be a definite must. So glad I posted here. Thank you.

• Rana Saleh

Dear Stacy, what about shelves, glass shelves. You can still have the light through, yet decorate them with what you love. Hope it is

• Sue davis

first paint, choose your colors , I personally like the new lagoon shades. Like the idea of stained glass pieces , DIY stain glass in old window and hang. in another replace glass with mirrows .also like the idea of sheers pulled back with pretty cords. . It all depends on how little or much you want. could free hand paint one wall. the ideas are limitless, just start and then stop went you feel good with it. there is never a wrong. if you are not happy with something just change what makes you unhappy. this should be a area that you are confertable in and with. just think of thing tht make you smile and go for it

• Traci

My husband and I closed off a similar open space with rigid insulation. We cut it to the size of the opening and painted it the wall and we wedged it into place. It stays there with no fasteners and it can just pop out when we need the space open again. One it was painted it looks just like a wall and I even have things hanging on it. Good luck.

• Katie Wells

I would look for or make my own stained glass piece to fit exact in this window opening,