Silvan Johnson
Silvan Johnson
  • Fulton, NY
Asked on Jun 14, 2013

Can Aloe Vera Plants live outdoors in upstate NY?

Silvan JohnsonMolly MeredithPeg
+5

I have an overflowing Aloe plant that is flourishing indoors. I'd like to transplant some of it outside, but don't want to if it will kill it. I have some Hens & Chicks and thought the two would make a nice succulent garden. Any ideas?
  • Matthew M

I wouldn't do it :( If you could keep the frost off of it, you may be alright, but that would be a full time job in upstate NY during the winter! Of course, if you want to bring it back in during the winter, that could work...

• Nancy Hatcher

You can take it outside in the summer as long as you don't get a lot of rain. Definitely don't leave it out in the winter. They are semi tropical succulent plants grown in zones 10-11. If you do get a lot of rain plant them where there is very good drainage. If it were me I would keep it in the pot and take it outside and protect it from heavy rain. My mother grew aloe vera and found she could put a start in a plastic bag to give them away. They lasted up to a week in the bag.

• Silvan Johnson

Makes sense....If I decide to do that, I'll put them in something I can bring in when the weather gets colder. THANK YOU!

• Nancy Hatcher

You are welcome!

Aloe vera is definitely not winter-hardy in New York. You should keep it in a pot and bring it in when nighttime temperatures start to dip below 50.

• Peg

They are not winter hardy up here Silvan. Even when I want to put my pot of them outdoors for the summer, I need to start gradual so the sun doesn't burn the leaves after a long winter indoors. And take them in on chilly nights too. Eventually they can get acclimated and stay outdoors all summer into early fall in pots.

• Molly Meredith

I live in upstate NY now and am from San Antonio Texas. I feel like anything succulent, meaning full of water, will definitely not survive these horribly cold winters. I say this but when we were stationed in Germany the locals had lot of hen and chicks growing on their concrete fences. But I do know aloe will not make it in these arctic winters.

• Silvan Johnson

Thanks for your input, Molly :)