Rebecca D
Rebecca D
  • Dearborn, MI

The new growth on my (bloodgood) J. maple is curled and turning brown. Help! Losing this tree is not an option!

Jean MooreConnie BRebecca D
+3

Michigan had an odd winter season this year, and the spring weather is too!

I suspect your Japanese maple pushed out foliage early because of the warm weather and then got hit by a frost. The tree should put on new foliage to replace that which dies. Make sure it is getting enough water, but do not fertilize.

• Rebecca D

Thank you so much Douglas! I will watch for new growth! Our spring thunderstorms and high winds are "Awful" Planted the tree when we bought our house 26 yrs now!

Good luck, Rebecca. I'm sure it's seen some crazy weather before in its 26 years.

• Rebecca D

Yes, it has Douglas... Looks better today, I think it'll make it ! lol

• Connie B

Mine has done the same thing, We had warm spell, then a bad frost for several nights. It is beginning to recover. Am so glad as I am attached to it.

• Jean Moore

Mine had done this too for two years in a row. Also new growth came in green and I was wondering if it was reverting back to whatever it might have been before. I chopped off the green limb and it seemed to be ok. This fall it looks sad and I may just have to remove it entirely. I don't know what else to do.