Janice
Janice
  • Waterford, MI
Asked on Jun 15, 2013

Growing ornamental grass in a pot.

Douglas HuntJanicePeg
+1

I'd like to grow two pots of ornamental grass on my deck here in Michigan. What do I need to know to do this correctly and how do I go about wintering them. Is it even possible? Thanks in advance.
  • Peg

There are quite a few types of ornamental grasses and different zones they are hardy in. Some can overwinter in a pot, but, they need to be ones to handle a much colder zone. Since they are in pots, their root system will be exposed to much colder temps then if they were in the ground. So, what may be winter hardy in a zone 7, now if in a pot, that "zone" will change to a 5 because of cold air getting to the root system. So, find a ornamental grass that you like that thrives in colder zones than where you are. I put one of mine that a friend gave me in my garage to overwinter. I did good. But it did not come back this year though. I think it had to do with lack of water. A lesson learned!

Peg's advice is very good. I would also encourage you to be very mindful of the mature size of the grass. Some get huge, so you need to pick one that is on the diminutive side.

• Janice

Thanks Peg and Douglas, all good advice that I'll follow. ps...miss New Smyrna Beach Douglas. I used to spend a few weeks with in-laws there every year years ago.

Come back, Janice. There have been a lot of changes, but it's still mostly the old NSB.