Coastal Mirror ~ A Thrift Store Find Makeover

Turning a thrift store find into coastal decor is one of my favorite ways to decorate. Here’s another easy project for my guest room makeover.
I set a budget for this makeover and transforming old items is the way to get the look I want inexpensively. I’m glad I bought this mirror a few months ago. It was one of those “maybe I’ll find a use for it” purchases. Now, I have!
Flowers and the crackled paint effect are not looks that I love. But, the mirror just needed to be cleaned and I knew I could change the look of it with paint. I used TSP to clean the frame.
I bought Art Minds Sea Foam Chalk Paint, thinking it would be a match for a large seascape print that I want to keep in the room. It wasn’t quite the shade I wanted. So, I began experimenting. I mixed some Waverly Crystal Chalk Paint into the other paint and I was happy with the result. After painting, I used my palm sander to lightly distress the frame of the mirror.
The starfish was reddish in color. I painted it and then distressed it a little to let the darker color show through. It’s hot glued to the mirror frame.
The final addition I made to the mirror was to add rope around it. I should have added the rope before I added the starfish, but I managed to tuck the ends of rope in.
This project took less than 30 minutes and it's a great addition to the coastal decor for this guest room makeover.
To see more, please visit me at the link below.

• Mirror  (Thrift Store)
  • Chalk Paint
  • Rope

Beverly Roderick at Across the Blvd