Cindy M
Cindy M
  • Petal, MS

What is this?

Stephanie corleySue KieneCarey
+72

it has smallish purpely pink blooms and about 3 feet tall?
q what is this, gardening
q what is this, gardening
  • The Empty Nest

looks to be in the Foxglove family

• Mary S

Lupines?

• Shelby W

foxglove/digitalis, I concur :)

• Walter Reeves

obedient plant Physostegia purpurea

• Mary S

It does look more like foxglove....I just looked at ours outside...not Lupines

• Andi K

confident that it's foxglove latin name...digitalis

• Jennifer H

yep. foxglove. Digitalis!

• Andi K

a picture of the lower leaves/foliage would give better ID

• June W

It is definitely Obedient plant. It is very invasive. I have to pull out tons of them every spring and just leave what I want.

• Neva F

I would say foxglove but it's a little early in VA.

• Cindy F

Looks like Obedient plant to me only it blooms in MI in Aug.-Sept.

• Tina H

Obedient plant!

• Judith O

No, It IS an Obedient plant and I'd stake my life on that. They do spread like crazy but can be pulled out easily as they aren't deep rooted. They are great for a shaded corner and bloom in the FALL. Give some to your friends. www.glenviewgardeners.org

• Brenda A

looks like Veronica (speedwell) ? also looks like the Foxglove, Scrophulariaceae (digitalis) but early, (blooms May-Sept.)

• Val L

Just looked it up in my book, yest it is obedient plant.

• Terry

Obedient Plant or False Dradonhead (Physostegia virginiana) got its common name because you can bend the individual flowers in any direction you like. It does grow like wildfire....but it's great for filling a large empty space that is mostly shady and wet. It is about 2' tall and will multiply about 3' per yr.

• Eulalia

Definitely obedient plant.

• Carol M

wish I had some in my garden. just the right look..

• Lily

Foxglove

• Becky P

Looks like Turtlehead or Obedient Plant

• Colleen C

obedient plant . I used to grow some.

• Lynda F

I believe this a foxglove at least it looks like the last one I had in my yard.

• Susan S

Well, whatever it is, I KNOW I have Foxglove and it definitely is blooming! @Neva S. - Montross is part of the Richmond vicinity so we're not too far apart and my FG is blooming right now. Might depend on where yours is located and how much sun it gets. @Susan P - in Stafford. Oh yeah - another Va. girl and you're REALLY close!! ;~)

• Jeanne B

I love this plant, so beautiful I would never destroy!

• Cindy M

Thank you all, it looks like obedient plant, according to google images.

• Mary G

It's obedient plant, and you will see more and more and more if you don't contain it. I have it at the top and bottom of an incline. The top grows to about 36" but the bottom gets less sun and stays at 18-24". They have newer hybrids now that aren't as invasive.

• Terry F

Obedient Plant is quite the misnomer. If anything, it is NOT obedient in any way. I don't have it in my gardens any more as it's way too invasive and it's kind of a lanky, unruly plant.

• Susan B

Try the version "Miss Manners". It's an obedient plant that is actually obedient -- forms a clump and stays put.

• Colleen L

The flower looks kind of like Honeysuckle.

• Carol S

looks like a foxglove.

• Mary anne Z

i think it looks like foxglove

• Geri M

I do believe it is the Turtlehead plant. I had one in my wildflower bed at my old house.

• John W

obedient plant

• Laura G

could it be a Hosta bloom?

• Kelly S

Looks like the foxglove that volunteered in my back yard. Don't let animals or children get a hold of it. Foxglove is where they get digitalis, the heart drug. It can kill if ingested.

• Sandra R

It really looks like an obedient plant. A picture of the bottom foliage would help. Does it spread through the roots?

• Cindy M

It just appeared this year, in a spot that if it spreads is no big deal, so we're going to keep it and see what happens. It's also mixed in with mint. Literally a wild garden area. Thanks again everybody!

• BONNIE J

HONEYSUKLE IS A VINE. OBEDIENT PLANT IS QUITE UNRULY IT SEEMS!

• Judy W

Here we call these foxglove. I have found it easier to have wildflower gardens, they are so much easier to have and always give me surprises as to color. A big plus has been -----NO WEEDING and more time to enjoy the garden. The foxglove provides such a great background for the wild violets, spider wort, along with the jack in the pulpit, verbenas, wild mint, and pink primroses.

Foxglove, or Digitalis, is a different plant. The blooms are not as outfacing as on the somewhat ironically named obedient plant, or Physotegia.

• Jean M

looks like foxglove to me :)

• Phyllis P

Yes, foxglove - or digitalis is the botannical name.

• Debi M

Foxgloves make a nice backdrop in a mixed flower garden because of their height.

• Gloria W

Beard Tongue

• Judy W

Just found the handiest website---uswildflowers.com You can search their database by state, identification of flowers made simple divided by color. Books, websites, journals, maps of areas found, etc. Also common names (average of at least 4 for every flower listed so everybody is right) ----Except the buttercup. buttercup is only yellow.

• Debi M

Gloria K, Dragon Tongue (Beard Tongue) has much smaller flowers and does not grow quite as tall as Foxglove I plant Dragon Tongue in front of Foxglove so I am very familiar with it. Also Dragon Tongue has a "spike" with the flowers on it, where as FoxGlove has leaves and flowers on the same stem

• Gloria W

It sure is not foxglove...cause I've got them planted dosen't look anything like this. Did some research and it is the OBEDIENT PLANT. Which comes in white and pink .

• Angela G

Foxgloves...love them!

• Linda G

Digitalis

• Beverly P

Foxglove, same thing.

• Carol M

obedient plant has it! I have both fox glove & obedient plant. Obedient is just a little more fragile than fox glove that groves wild here.Both are beautiful in my garden..

• Beverly P

You are right, foxglove does look so similar that it is onviously easy to confuse. Guess I better go back to school huh? Lol...sorry for faux pas.

• Debi M

Whatever it is, it is beautiful, wish I had some in my garden

Debi, you could certainly grow obedient plant in North Carolina.

• Sandra R

I have so many I have to pull them out! I'm replanting them along the woods line. They can go nuts there.

• Jenni C.

Obedient plant...I have them in a fuscia tone.

• Bkgriffga

Its Digitalis,or common name Foxglove

• Wanda sinnema

OBEDIENT plant, come in pale pinks-lavender and white..They are anything but what the name implies.. great ground cover for a shaded side. plant one and next year its 3 ft. next year its 5 ft... easy to pull up, travel on underground runners..so be careful where you put them.. I love them in arrangements.. My white one is about 12 in high, lavender is about 3 ft, pink mid size..I stake my lavender one otherwise with wind it can flop over.. BEEs LOVE them, great next to a veg garden.... for pollination.

• Pam Kaiser

Obedient plant. It is in the mint family so can be invasive, but very pretty I think. It is not related to Foxglove.

• Mimi Haywood

Beard Tounge known also as False Foxglove from Figwort Family Penstemon genus, very closely resembles the Obedient Plant also known as False Dragonhead which prefers moist soil while the Beard Toungue which grows wild also,I found growing roadside just past the lava flows in the New Mexico mostly dry semi-desert. Gathered seed and brought them home to try in the mountains. Time will tell.

• Verilea poole

Foxglove

• Jean M

don't let your cat or dog chew it up if you have either. :(....bad for them.

• BettyLou

I thought it was Foxglove, son has quite a few of them. Our dogs seem to leave them alone. Have not heard of other names, but I don't know a lot about them. Tried to get some of the seeds into one of my flower beds by placing stem on dirt but think the seeds had already been spent so no flowers this year in my bed. Son still had blooms though.

• Katherine

That's definitely obedient plant. I call it disobedient plant because the dark pink/purple ones are outrageously invasive! They send runners under the soil and pop up everywhere! The white ones are NOT invasive.

• Wanda sinnema

agree with Katherine from NC.. Obedient plant.. comes in white, pale pink, lavender, maybe more.. My white one IS invasive..... make nice filler in arrangements.. the lavender one I have grown about 4 ft tall,,

• Wbirnbaum

obedient plant - available in pink and also white

• Laura

Definitely a foxglove. The drug digitalis is derived from this plant.

• Debra Spencer

Digitalis Foxy, aka: foxglove . The drug digitalis was derived from this plant .....can be poisonous if ingested

• Brenda

Foxglove

• Patricia Harris

It's definitely a foxglove, my mother had them in her garden when I was a child, I am 70 now and still remember them, they're gorgeous.

• Patricia Harris

I don't know where they got Canada from? I'm English and live in Spain!!!

• Carey

If it is a large plant it is Foxglove. If it is a similar shape but a small flower not a heavy Stem with large leaves it may be an obedient plant. The obedient plant has small bell shaped flowers that bloom up the stem in succession. The Foxglove has a large bell shipped flower that also blooms up the stem in succession but tends to have more flowers in bloom at a time. IT is also a Bi-annual which means that it grows on year, blooms the next and then dies. I didn't have much success with it seeding and continuing to propagate but the Obedient plant seeds prolifically and multiplies quickly. Do a google search for https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&r... or https://www.google.com/search?q=Obedient+Plan... for photo's of foxglove and then obedient plant. My first thought was Foxglove, but after looking at the picture, I wonder if it isn't actually an Obedient Plant

• Sue Kiene

my thought was obedient plant as well.

• Stephanie corley

It looks like an obedient. You can bend the stem and it will remain bent for a good while thus the name....