Shiplap Laundry Room Makeover

$500

If it's a room in your house that you spend any amount of time in... it might as well be pretty.
It all started when I tried to get a beach towel off the only shelf available in that laundry room... a shelf that I could barely reach and when I grabbed the towel... everything under it came tumbling down on top of the dryer. I decided right there I needed a manageable shelf.
That's how it looked. I decided that if we were taking that shelf down, we may as well make the room prettier. Shiplap is all the rage so I thought why not?! We purchased a sheet of plywood that we had Lowe's rip into 6" planks. They were installed one plank at a time. Luckily it's only a 6' wide wall. We do have 10' ceilings in that room so it did take a few planks to get it done. The full instructions are here.
I also needed shelves. I decided we could put up the iron pipe type shelves that are all over the interwebs. Lots and lots of pipes, flanges, elbows, caps- all quite dirty. They have to be cleaned before they can be used.. We bought two 2x12s for the shelves. They were cut to size then sanding, stain, and a few coats of Polycrylic made a gorgeous end result.
We also put up two long shelves over the washer and dryer.
Just to clear up one item: Several comments have been made about how I ruined the existing usefulness of the laundry room because there is nowhere to hang clothes. There actually IS a nice long bar we installed under the 3 shelf unit by the door. I just failed to put up a pic of it. So- here is the pic! I gained about a foot of hanging space with the new design.
I. Love. These. Shelves.! We also added a pipe for hanging clothes under the bottom shelf on the shorter shelves. None of what we did was particularly difficult... you just have to be brave and do it! It's a lengthy post so check it out here.

• Plywood  (Lowes)
  • Valspar Paint  (Lowes)
  • 3/4" Iron Pipe  (Lowes)

32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Under a Texas Sky

• Mary Britten Briggs Lukes

And where do you hang your clothes now?
    • Under a Texas Sky

If you’ll look at the pics above, you’ll see a hanging rack under the two shelf unit just inside the door.
  • Janet Caterina

I thought shelves were used for laundry detergent and other cleaning products. Why do you have toilet paper instead?
    • Ljl2254725

I think that it looks amazing... toilet paper and all! In fact, how do they know that the bathroom with no under cabinet storage isn't across the hall from the utility?

• Rachel

Did you have any problems fitting the piping together? We are in process makInf a pipe shelf and the threads don’t “thread” well at all.