Tween Girls Room Makeover!

My daughter is a tweenybopper now, so it was time to give her bedroom a makeover.
This is the finished room! I handmade and replaced all of the baseboards with taller ones and added crown molding using the same wood. I stripped the windows and cut two kinds of molding to frame them and give them a cute picture frame look. My wife tailored curtains we bought to fit into the window frames to make the room look bigger too. My daughter loves how it turned out!
I painted a chalkboard onto the wall and then framed it. It has been a huge hit with her and her friends.
Here's a look at the new curtains. My wife bought white and pink curtains from IKEA Japan and sewed them together.
I made this shelf out of planks of pine wood and attached it to the back of her headboard.
Here's a look at the window frame.
The finished baseboards.
Pink Trim!
The new baseboards coming together.
The windows coming along.
The frame is finished!
Starting the chalkboard.
It's still kind of difficult to buy paint in Japan. More and more colors and brands come along every year, but there's not a huge variety of them.
Before!
I took this curtains down and then realized I didn't take any "before" pictures.
Before!

• Randy

Is there a way you can have someone from America send you some paint so you can match your living rooms or kitchens with your friend over here and also some wild color that the boys like there rooms to be matched in color to. Or may we not send you any of ours to be able to match your friend ??

• Dcoleman40

Try painting a piece of molding or a scrap of wood in the pink paint and sending that. Then the recipient can take that to Home Depot or Lowe's and they can do a color match.

• Sharon

I love the room it looks so warm and welcoming. Did you paint over the wallpaper or did you remove the wallpaper first, then sand it down before using primer and then paint? I just bought a house and it has flowered wallpaper and so much of it. I have seen YouTube videos on how to paint over the wallpaper I'm just not sure if I should or not.

• Bryan's Workshop

Hey Sharon! I painted right over the wallpaper! How's the condition of your wallpaper. The biggest thing to worry about is the seams peeling away from the wall. I installed the floor and ceiling molding over the wallpaper seams. You can also apply a thin line of paintable caulk over seams too. Apply it in away that it's unnoticeable. I tested the paint I used first and it worked perfectly. If you worry, you can prime with an oil based primer. I didn't do this but read that it sealed the adhesive in the wallpaper and away from the moisture in the paint. There is also special paint made for painting over wallpaper.

• Jessie Chisholm

You did such a great job! Realise that the floor may already have been done but do you have any suggestions for floors? Live in an old house with chipped softwood floors.

• Bryan's Workshop

Thank you Jessie! What's the finish on your floor now and how bad are they chipped? I have a million ideas running through my mind right now. Is this just one room? How do you feel about paint and stencils? Do you want to restore them to their original look? You can also ask this question to the Hometalk community for a variety of helpful answers.