Mariposa
Mariposa
  • New Haven, CT
Asked on Jun 15, 2013

Does anyone know what this plant could be

Cindy LubyEric GCaley's Culinaries
+10

It doesn't look like anything I planted
q does anyone know what this plant could be
  • Melissa Gutilla

Did you plant something different last year? Last year we didn't plant a garden since we knew we would be moving sometime soon but had a full garden come up anyway! Apparently the seeds from the tomatoes, squash, and cucumbers reseeded themselves.

• Kim Gearin

it looks like collard greens to me.

• Mariposa

it reminded me of cabbage but I don't have veges. I wonder if it was mixed in with the mulch I bought.

• Cindy Luby

It does look edible. Just let it grow looks like it will end up being a nice plant. I would take a photo to the nursery. They will know. lc

• Roxanne Kircher

Did you grow Datura (Angels trumpet) last year? They reseed and mine also came back from main established plant and that's how it looks. http://www.flickr.com/photos/cobalt/7209565564/

• Mariposa

Thank You Roxanne that makes complete sense i had a Datura not too far from the spot where this is growing I am so use to seeing the seedlings. I had help getting the garden together this yer and the person put too much mulch by the time i unearthed it i was this big.

• Becky Falsone

I have a moon flower and this picture look similar to the new seedlings that come up.

• P

Looks like a cabbage family such as broccoli, cabbage or Brussels sprouts...

• Ripples

I am with Kim. Looks like Collards.

• Traceykinohio

That is moonplant, aka Gabriel's Trumpet. Don't let the tiny size fool you - it will grow super fast & take over anything close. It has beautiful, huge while blooms that smell good, but it will grow out of control. After five years or so, I've been pulling it up as soon it sprouts & moving it someplace where it can go wild.

• Caley's Culinaries

If you didn't have vegetables. don't eat this! Datura is toxic. It looks like something is eating the growing tip too. Might want to spray it with some soapy water on a cloudy day.

• Eric G

Looks like collard greens

• Cindy Luby

i still think it may be brussel spouts I had some in my garden but gave them to a neighbor who had a sunny.