Betsy
Betsy
  • Tucker, GA

I need a shade tolerant foundation plant.

Mickey BaronGladysIrish Birdie
+3

I think we have compacta holly but they grew too tall and now they are very scraggly I think due to lack of sun. I'm looking for something about 3-4 ft high and low maintenance but will make a nice hedge around the base of the house.
  • Andi K

Boxwood...only thing is some people do not like the smell of them. They are pretty tolerant of shade as well.

How much shade do you have, Betsy? Holly is pretty shade-tolerant, so you might want to try a "rejuvenation" pruning of your plants by cutting back the branches by half to three-quarters of their length. They'll look like a hat rack for awhile, but eventually will be fully covered in leaves while much reduced in size. The best time to do this would be late winter, to take full advantage of the spring flush of growth after pruning.

• Kathy R

Azaleas

• Irish Birdie

Our home is north facing, with little to no sun. Also live in ATL area. Since we are remodeling, we will re-landscape the shady front. We are going to use camellias, sasanquas, pittosporum, maybe some abelia as evergreen backbone. then fill in with hostas, heuchera, oxalis, and hydrangea.

• Gladys

Get the evergreen azaleas, rhododendrons, camellias, and possibly gardenias. Also an understory tree like a redbud might be nice. But then I like my plants Big, but you can always prune. Big plants always cost more, but I just grow mine myself.

• Mickey Baron

This is a pic of my tree trunk planter. But look at the boxwoods behind it, that line the sidewalk. I really love them because I only have to trim them 3 or 4 times during our northern summers. They do well in shade, & they take to any shape I make them.

, Consider boxwoods