ANITA G
ANITA G
  • Oak Lawn, IL
Asked on Jun 16, 2013

If salt kills weeds

PegMartha AltevogtTanya Peterson Felsheim
+13

will salt kill yucca plants
this plant gets bigger and bigger can dig it up cause the root breaks and then will grow again
if salt kills weeds, gardening
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

probably.

• Cheryl

But it is so beautiful. Why kill it? Just dig up and leave on the trash for someone to claim! I got 2 lovely plants that way. One man's trash is another's treasure!

If you used enough salt to kill a plant of that size I suspect you would destroy the structure of your soil and make it impossible to grow anything else there for a considerable period of time.

• Anne gaddis

i dont know about that but someone told me that asparagus need salt water. does anyone know if this is true?

• Anne gaddis

does anyone know if salt water helps asparsgus i have told that it does

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Anne I suspect they may have been suggesting to use epsom salt maybe, which can be beneficial to plants because it is magnesium sulfate, and table salt is mostly sodium chloride, and not at all friendly to plants

• Judy

Enough salt to kill a plant will really mess your soil chemistry up. Try digging/pulling it as soon as it starts to re-emerge repeatedly until it dies from lack of sunlight for photosynthesis or dig it & cover the area with black plastic & mulch to smother it.

• Erica

Yucca has a really long tap root. Dig it up and the root will just send up a new shoot. I think the smother idea will work best. But a friend of mine has been trying to kill his yucca for 10 years. Good luck!

• Sylvia B

Have also been trying to kill some Yucca plants for years. Have dug them up, repeatedly. Now use spray on them (enviromentally friendly) as soon as leaves get big enough to absorb it, daily. Have to do it every year. Also covered them with weed-block; they pushed it right up. I like Yucca plants in some locations - these are just too close to the house....

• Lori J

Can't help laughing because my husband and I were just talking about the fact that we lost a yucca plant. My experience has been that they are darn near indestructible. They put down a tap root that just seems to go on forever, and unless you get it all,back it comes. I had started a succulent garden in a big old whiskey barrel (that nearly had no bottom to it), and we lost both the yucca and the prickly pear cactus.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

I successfully have killed a yucca with too much water.

• Caley's Culinaries

We used to grow them on the beach, so they can take a lot of salt water without a problem. Too much water might work. And some nice loamy soil. They like sand.

• Val Roche

My 8 foot yukka with 3 heads fell over enough for me to saw it off . [ after cutting those sharp tips off ] Certainly there are a couple of tiny ones but I've been painting them regularly with poison and they are nearly gone . There evidently are ones that are low growers as well . Mine was in a native section of my garden so unless it was an extremely hot day , only got the water God gave it

• Tanya Peterson Felsheim

Yes Yucca's multiply and multiply they are gorgeous as a sound barrier if you have room. Or you do like I do and dig up the new stuff every year! I sent them out to my moms and they are perfect in her one acre plot where my .17 acre plot doesn't work as well.

• Martha Altevogt

I Love those Yukka plants if you don't want them I will take them 217-556-8582 ;-)

• Peg

Salt won't harm them. They are grown on the road side and the salt form snow plowing seems to make them happier in the summer! Like Donna said, too much water will rot the roots and kill them. If you can chop it down, get to the root, get an herbicide right on the root. Keep applying every week as long as there are no other plants too close to be harmed. Or, cut it to the root, cover it with a heavy piece of plastic and put a large brick over it, leave it there till next year. See if you can smother it.