Maria Pagan
Maria Pagan
  • Jacksonville, FL
Asked on Jun 16, 2013

Is this a weed? Need help with ID

Maria PaganSandyLynnelogue
+19

I am a beginner gardener and I can say that I am learning a lot with HomeTalk! So, here I am asking for help on this plant's id. I hope it's not a weed...
is this a weed need help with id, gardening

That doesn't look like a weed leaf to me, but I'm afraid I can't hep more than that. You may have to wait to see if it blooms so we can see the flower. Or, cut a couple of leaves and take them, in a plastic bag, to your local extension office.

• Lawn Pro

its is a weed.

• Connie Barber

Give it a little more time to mature. I have a turks cap that favor those leaves. birds replant new plants for us yearly and I have received new plants from bringing in outside mulch. zoom in on background of photo below.

• Connie Barber

sorry i tried to post photo several times no luck.

• Sue max

do the leaves smell like black licorice when you crush them? If so it is Anise hyssop, will spread vigorously, grow to 3-4 feet tall, but also attracts hummingbirds and butterflies with its small scented blue-purple heads. if no scent to leaves, pull it, it is a weed!

• Sue max

you can also try submitting a pic to Dave's garden, another helpful plant identifier site prior to pulling

• Patty

Not a weed, just not sure what it is; see if it flowers later on......

• Maria Pagan

Thanx everybody! My husband bought it but he can't remember its name. I wonder if it's a fruit or vegetable plant...

• Pauline Cobb Choate

That looks like the leaf of a weed that produces the "cockleburs" that would get in my horses manes. Produced a pretty little white flower, then the burs. I'm in W Central FL.

• Sharon

It does remind me of my turk's cap,which will have red blooms,that look like the little caps worn by Turkish men... is that a bloom or new leaves on some stalks in your picture?( I'll try to post a picture of my plant later...

• Devon Cretella

When I was in my Master Gardening class, the instructor said anything that grows where you don't want it to can be considered a weed :)

• Jan Cate

it looks like Turks cap to me. If it is, I love mine. No maintence comes back every year in central Texas

• Shala Cripps

looks like a grape vine

• Shala Cripps

or a type of nasturtium

• Connie Barber

I bet it is a grapevine then

• Maria Pagan

This is very interesting! Right now I am torn between Turks cap and grape vine. The leaves are so similar to on-line photos. But I haven't seen any bloom on my plant yet. It might be a grape plant, the only problem with that is that it doesn't have tendrils.

• Maria Pagan

It's a weed! LOL Caesar Weed, Urena lobata. Out it goes! Thank everybody!

• Dani Mcelroy

its not a muscadine grape vine but does look like some type of grape vine, i live near gainesville, fl & have vines growing wild all o ver our property i would pull i up!

• Jessica C

I would say weed.

• Lynnelogue

I would wait a bit longer. After all weeds are just flowers waiting to be discovered!

• Sandy

looks like coltsfoot weed to me..did it have yellow flower in early spring?

• Maria Pagan

@Sandy It never bloomed,