Tanya Peterson Felsheim
Tanya Peterson Felsheim
  • Grants Pass, OR
Asked on Jun 16, 2013

Forgotten spring bulbs

Tanya Peterson FelsheimDouglas HuntCatherine Smith
+5

I have had many medical emergencies which has caused me to have neglected bulbs that didn't get planted. Some of these buldbs are purchased up to a year ago. Do I hav any hope of recovering any of them? Some are very dried out but some look likem make it.
What is everyone' feeling..go ahead give it a tryzzzzzp
  • Catherine Smith

Not a problem, bulbs don't normally have and "expired" date. Just plant them with a good handful of bone meal mixed in the soil. You should have lovely blooms next year. :)

As Catherine says you should definitely give it a try. Bulbs are amazingly resilient. I would give them a squeeze and if they seem really spongy (or turn into powder in your hands) it's probably not worth it, but otherwise, go for it.

• Tanya Peterson Felsheim

Thank you @Catherine Smith and @Douglas Hunt for the information. I had noticed more that they were hard than spongy or powdery so sounds like I have a chance. Should Iput them in the ground now or wait till fall when it seems most bulbs get planted? oh and should I start in containers or directly into the ground?

I would plant them, in the ground.

• Tanya Peterson Felsheim

ok @Douglas Hunt I'm counting on your expertise for at least a few of the bulbs might make it...gonna take a picture of all the bulbs and I think you will thing "WHAT IN THE WORLD WERE YOU THINKING" and my plans exceed my time so often especially lately with failing parents!

• Tanya Peterson Felsheim

Ok here is what I'm going to try to plant...

, I know the clematis wll do ok but the others I m hold you to it haha

Actually, I would be most concerned about the clematis and the peony, Tanya. The ones that are truly bulbs should be OK.

• Tanya Peterson Felsheim

uh oh....Well those are the most recent purchase at lease. Now I'm bummed its the clematis I'm already having trouble with!