Teri
Teri
  • Bellingham, WA
Asked on Jun 16, 2013

What is this plant called?

Wanda sinnemaTeriPeg
+13

I bought this plant a month ago and it was real small. I lost the tag and now I don't know the name of it and it;s growing fast. It came from a plant sale where they sell unusual outdoor plants.
Any ideas on what this is called?
Any ideas on what this is called?
what is this plant called, gardening
  • Nancy Hand

Looks like a variegated wandering jew. I want a cutting! lol

• Renee Copp

it could be a tradescantia.

• Teri

Renee I looked up tradescantia and looked at many different kinds and didn't see any. Nancy isn't it beautiful? I sure wish I wouldn't of lost the tag, and there is no one to ask anymore.

• Trent-Tonya Sharp

go back where you bought it and show them a photo of it they should know and it is so pretty

• Teri

That's the problem Trent. The place is no longer around and nobody to get ahold of.

• Caley's Culinaries

Pretty sure it is a variegated wandering jew. Very unusual to have variegation sideways instead of with the veins. Another garden center with a houseplant department would probably know. You could check with a local garden club or master gardeners associations as well.

• Terri G

Whatever it is, it's beautiful! I want a cutting, too! LOL!

• Sandra Parrill

It is a perennial tradescantia, "Blushing Bride". I bought one last year for my shade garden. Pretty!

• Trent-Tonya Sharp

Blushing bride is it i looked it up after reading Sandra's post and yes so glad to find out i want a few myself

• Teri

Thank you so much Sandra for telling me the name. Now I know where to plant it and how to take care of it. It is one of the most beautiful plants I've seen.

, Since so many people help me identify the name of this plant Blushing Bride I wanted to show how much it has grown in such a short time Its loving it underneath my gazebo on the back porch It has been a real conversational piece
  • Betsy Bodrero

It looks like an orchid

• Mary Tonningsen

It's beautiful!! Nice choice!

• Kathy Robison

This is a beautiful plant. I looked it up online and found several places that sell them. I am going to order one. Thanks for sharing this!

• Peg

It's winter hardy from zones 4- 9. I'd love to find a nursery around me that sells it.

• Teri

Peg I had a piece that broke off, so Im trying to start another one. I'll let you know how that goes. I ended up getting this one from two guys that come to our area once a year and only sell unique plants.I just hope I can keep this one alive.It is growing fast.

• Wanda sinnema

so following this post,,,,, is it hardy in the Puget Sound area ? Is Blushing Bride a nick-common name ? Wandering Jew is a houseplant here....I want one.. looks great..