Sue Eldred
Sue Eldred
  • Washington, IL

New Look for an Old Basket

Need a quick front porch project…
Got any old baskets lying around the house?
new look for an old basket, container gardening, gardening, repurposing upcycling
A New Use for an Old Basket
During my Spring Cleaning…this basket was headed for the trash when I decided to repurpose it.
I love the look of flowers in baskets. I had nothing to lose.
I can always throw it away later if it doesn’t wear well this summer. (look at how rough it is)
I gave the handle of the basket a quick fix with some craft glue held together with a binder clip.
I used a thin grocery store bag to line the basket and keep the dirt in place.
You might want to poke a few small holes in the bag for drainage.
Once you’ve filled the basket with dirt, tuck the remaining bag neatly around the sides of the basket.
My basket will be on a shaded front porch.
I chose flowers that will grow well in shade.
I started with a couple larger pink geraniums and filled with smaller pink impatiens and purple violas.
TIP: Remember not to pack the basket so full that the flowers don’t have room to grow.
Now that Garage Sale season is upon us. You may want to keep a look out for a cheap basket or two.
That is… if you don’t have any old baskets lying around waiting to be rescued.

• Old basket
  • Potting soil
  • Flowers
Sue Eldred

• Bck6102249

How long do you feel the basket would hold up to rain and sun? I live in the Midwest

• Sheryl Dunham

Who cares if it only holds up for one season...it was going in the trash anyway.

• Jacqui

My old basket that I want to use to plant in is mildewing. How do I clean (if that's even an option)? Or do I toss?

• Shirley

If it will be outdoors, why worry about the mildew? It will get wet anyway, and no doubt the mildew would return. Consider it disposable after a season's use.

• Ramana Acharyulu

Great idea, thanks for sharing.
  • Carolyn Sheetz Kuespert

Will try this. Have a small basket my late mother made in a craft class many years ago. It's about 8 inches in diameter. Will use it with a plastic bowl instead of bag and plant one of her favorite flowers...Pansies..Thanks for the idea..

• Shirley

You might want to reinforce the moisture-proofing with a bag inside that special basket. Your bowl should have a drain hole, and a deep saucer to catch excess.