DIY Wooden Planter Boxes

I've been shopping around for some large planters to put on my front porch. I wanted them larger so I could plant some Perenial Hostas in them. I love buying new flowers every year but it gets costly. So I thought planting perennials might be better because they come back every year. I knew I'd need a bigger Planter and went searching. I found These on Amazon (aff Link) Wooden Planter Boxes WAY to expensive for my little budget. So I convinced the beard to build some for me, and they cost a fraction of the price!
Aren't these Hostas Gorgeous??
Using your (aff Link) Kreg Rip Cut cut or table saw Cut four pieces 15Wx36L
Assemble the four pieces into a box shape using your nailer. (you could also do this with wood screws or a hammer and nail)
After it's assembled cut it in half. This will give you your 2 planters.
Next we added cleats and a new bottom closer to the top so we wouldn't have to fill them up with so much dirt.
Now take your Furring strips and add the top trim. We mitered the corners with the miter saw to give them a more custom look.
After the top trim is done add the 2 bottom pieces. We did 2 rows to make them look more fancy.
Next we stained them and sealed them inside and out to prevent water damage.
I then drilled 4 holes in the new bottom for drainage, filled it with dirt, and Planted 1 Hosta and 2 calibrachoa per planter.They're so gorgeous and I can't wait until they grow and fill in. The beautiful green of the Hostas and calbrichoas against the black of the planters will be gorgeous! These planters were so easy and turned out perfect!
For a full list of Materials and the Cost Break down Visit the link below.

30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
Stacey @addisonmeadowslane

• Jen
    Jen

I love the bright hostas. Do you know the name?

Planters are great and have a classic look. Well done!

• Dawnne
      Dawnne

How abput putting casters on them as well, so they can be easily moved. With my back, it is difficult to lift and move them for sweeping, for watering, or for additional planting

• Sharon  W.
    Sharon W.

Question

We live in the Northeast. Do these Host need to be stored in basement or garage over the winter?

Thank you. LOVE Hosta but they are being eaten & ruined from the roots!

• Sharon  W.
      Sharon W.

Probably the voles or moles. We also have field mice. I

tried making bulb baskets out of heavy wire mesh (per gardening advice project) but the cuts to my arthritic hands were unbearable.When I planted my hosta (and bushes, roses, etc etc) outside our dogs fenced area, the deer eat them all, completely. Even getting didn't stop the deer. *sigh*

• Michele Duncan
    Michele Duncan

How big of a hole did you drill into the bottom of the planter?

• Dani
    Dani

Beautiful .. love how it turned out.. I live in central Minnesota. . And have hostas .. they haven't froze out yet and come back every year. . Thanks for sharing your great ideas. .

• Sharon  W.
    Sharon W.

What an amazing job you and your "beard" did with this project! Looks so professional!

I'm wondering about the sealant used. Does it really protect the inside from the damp soil and the outside from the rain?

How long have you had these displayed? Do you move them indoors for the winter somehow?

Alsi, are they easy to turn for equal sunshine/light for all the plants?

Thank you very much.