Sara W
Sara W
  • Marietta, GA

termite

Keller Pest ControlDulceWoodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
+7

I think our house has a termite .2 months ago, I bought "TERMITE DETECTION & KILLING STAKES " and today I noticed 2 of them pop up.
I am trying to find a good company ,trustworthy and reasonable price ,thank you for your help.
  • Sara you can do a contractor search at the top of the page, simply put in your zip code for the area and you should get a few names. If you purchased detection and killing stakes they have taken the bait and have returned it to the nest where it kills off the insects that feed on the material that they brought. It is fairly common to get some action on occasion for a short period of time until the bait begins to be eaten by the termite. You can check and see if its becoming successful by cutting off 1x2 pine boards about 12 inches long and hammer them into the ground around the outside of the house. Leave a few inches sticking up, perhaps paint bright color so you do not hit them with mower. After a month pull up and look for damage. If the termites are active still they will be going after that wood.

• Keller Pest Control

Sara there are lots of things that you need to be aware of. First of all what type of detection device is it. There are various and most are suspect at best. What you need to do is first of all relax and take a deep breath. If you do have termites you need to realize that they don't eat your house down quickly but if they go undetected for long periods of time or if the home is not properly protected then it can become a costly issue. I would suggest you get three inspections. And I have some questions one is how old is your house. The first 5-10 years are lower risk , as the age of the home increases so does the risk. What type of foundation poured or block, stone , brick. If its poured the inspection is easier. Is it a basement, crawl slab home. Is the basement finished or not. Have your neighbors had termites. What I would suggest is ask someone you trust if they know of a good company. The biggest is not always the best. I would shy away from Orkin and Terminix. What you want to look for are mud tubes around the house you can go to the attached linj to check out our website. I don't service your area but i would be glad to help you with info and assistance. http://www.kellerpest.com/mud_tunnels.html http://www.kellerpest.com/termite-control.html http://www.kellerpest.com/termites.html

• Sara W

thank you for your respond. I have a crawl space .and house around 25 years old with block foundation. about neighbor ,I do not know,because house is empty. I have not seen any mud tubes around the house so far,but I used few " Spectracide termite " stakes. what should I do next step before calling some one else. Thanks

• I went to "Do it Yourself Pest Control" in Norcross & did everything that they said & my termites have left my house alone.

• Sara W

would you please let me know what I should to do?

• Keller Pest Control

First of all start with a free inspection. Call and get three companies to come out, we don't charge for the inspections. Block homes are very susceptible to infestation as they can travel inside the block and you will not see them. Have you actually been in the crawl space to check. If so pay close attention to the rim joist and sill plate. Especially adjacent to many exterior slabs. The Spectracide termite stake would not be my first choice, but they sell a lot of them (that shows you what marketing can do for you). . The thing you need to consider and I am not trying to offend Lee Ann, but if I had a dollar for everytime I heard someone say I thought I got rid of them as i was pulling of the sheetrock to show them the extent of the hidden damage I would have about 750. 00. Would you really buy and use a do-it yourself cancer treatment. I am not saying she is wrong, But because of the materials available to you and the equipment needed to do the job right. You reallly should have this done professionally. Sometimes you can spend more time and money trying to do yourself. If you need a treatment I recommend Termidor in a chemical barrier treatment.

• Tom is right on with his post. Lots of folks try to do their own treatments only to find out later that they moved them to another location that they were not even aware of. Real common with slab homes where the insects are located in the middle of the house and working year round because of the heat generated by the house during the cold months when you would think they go dormant. At least get a free inspection done from a professional company. Chemical treatments are typically the best method, but using stakes also does work and is preferred if heating is in slab with ducts or if a well is near by. Its not uncommon to find that the owner has over treated an area thinking that more is better. A little goes a long way with these modern chemicals. All best left to professionals. Both for safety and cost.

• Dulce

I've used Terminix for 15 years and had no problems since. They do inspections and refill the bait boxes (if activity is detected) several times a year and also check the crawl space for humidity. They also give me a written report every time they visit. I live near Norfolk, VA.

• Keller Pest Control

I used to work for Terminix as a matter of fact I was the top rated inspector in the nation for 8 years. I averaged over 500 structures a year and that's been for 28 years so I have treated a few homes for termites. I am not trying to brag just to establish my area of expertise. I have a policy that I never run companies down and if you feel that where you are working is wrong than make a change. Terminix used to have a customer service philosophy but that changed. The thing that you need to consider before choosing any company is the employees at the branch that services your area. Because there are great branches and not so great locations with any company. Don't choose a company because of advertising choose them because of reputation locally not nationally. Look at both large and small companies for service, Interview the branch manager on the phone. See how quick they respond to your questions or phone call. Talk to neighbors about who they use. Then set up three to four appts. one right after the other. If you can do it on a Saturday . have them go back to back and allow an hour to an hour and a half for inspection and proposal. Ask tons of questions , What type of treatment bait or chemical if bait it needs to be sentricon or advance and they need to spot treat activity. If chemical it needs to be termidor. The application rate is 4 gallons per 10 linear feet per foot of depth inside and outside foundation if its a crawl space. for example 200 linear feet is 200 divided by 10 equals 20 times 4 gallons equals 80 x 3 to 4 foot depth equals 240 to 320 gals How do they apply they material. How close do they treat. . What do they guarantee. how long in business. etc etc etc . Visualize you are dealing with a virus and you are asking the doctor questions. Do your research and feel free to call me for input I would be glad to help