KATHERINE W
KATHERINE W
  • Dallas, GA
Asked on Jun 16, 2013

Gladiolus

SharonDouglas HuntKimberly Barney

i planted gladiolus bulbs for the first time this spring, but plants in short rows and now can't stale unless I spend a fortune staking them individually. They are in a raised bed and are about two feet tall. Can I dig them up and moved them a few inches so they are in a circle and can stake them easier?
  • Kimberly Barney

If you transplant them at this time, they will not bloom this year. As they are in a row, it will be expensive to stake individually and not knowing how they are planted with other plants. If they are in a position where you could put two or three stakes and run a net or a few strings between the stakes, that is what I would suggest at this time. Then after they bloom, plant in a circle and purchase the circular support systems. There are several out there.

Why does staking plants have to be expensive? I would just go take a walk a the woods and collect some suitably sized fallen branches. I think natural supports are more attractive, anyway. If that isn't an option, you could probably put stakes at the end of the rows and weave twine between the glads.

• Sharon

All great ideas, some stores sell small DRIED TREATED bamboo stakes in a bag - good for staking cause they are strong,but small ln diameter,less damage to roots when inserting in the ground ... some favorite memories of my granny are of her prize winning glads,but I've not had any,cuz things around here need to be as SELF- supporting as possible,lol...ahem...