Louise
Louise

What's happening to my hostas? Some are perfect, but those are ones that have been growing for years. The others were

Bobbette GouletSue KieneTess Borgra
+19

either bought new last fall or transplanted from my perfect patch.
q what s happening to my hostas some are perfect but those are ones that have been, gardening

The browning on the edge of the leaves most likely indicates a lack of moisture. The other one has clearly been eaten by something. For hostas, the most likely culprit would be slugs.

• Louise

So I need to water them more, obviously. I don't water them much at all, and actually for years, while these healthy ones have been in the ground, they've only received water when it rained. But maybe since these that aren't looking good are new to their current location, they need more attention? What can I do about the slugs or whatever it eating this one plant? How much water should I give the hostas and how often. And these that are so much smaller . . . . are they just a smaller variety, or are they small because they were only purchased and planted in the fall? Will 10-10-10 fertilizer help them grow faster?

• Dorene H

Does anyone know if hosta's grow in southwest florida? I was told no but they sell them in all the garden shops

• Kathy R

Full shade they will.

• Dianne

I have a problem with slugs & I have found Slug Bait @ Wal Mart is the Best....BUT it also will kill frogs, lizards & anything that eats it..so be careful if you have dogs or cats....

• Sheryl L

I've read in gardening books that slugs do not like to cross rough surfaces...so could put pebbles around base or have even read about using crushed up egg shells around the base of the hostas to keep the slugs away and also have read that it is better not to water them late in the evening.

• Dianne

Slugs crawl across everything that I put down...egg shells, gravel, sand....I had tried everything...beer in saucers, moth balls....all but nothing worked like the Slug bait

• Linda B

I agree, I can just look at them and see where the slugs have been chomping at them. You can put low sided bowls of beer out (slugs can't burp) or you can buy some lengths of copper that looks like scrub pads, but unroll to various lengths. Slugs won't pass this and I usually just wind this throughout my hostas when I have trouble...

• Louise

Where do I get these rolls of copper that look like scrub pads? What are they called?

Louise, your other hostas have gradually acclimated to only getting rainwater. You will have to water your newly transplanted hostas regularly until they are established. I personally would not fertilize until the roots were well-established and the plants started looking happy. Dorene, I'm not sure about southwest Florida, but in central Florida some folks actually are experimenting with hosta, the owner of my local nursery being among them. There is a "Sun Hosta" that supposedly has been specifically bred for the south.

• Diane M

my hostas come out in May and our beautiful by july they look horrible what can i do to keep them looking beautiful

• Debora F

looks like something is eating it. the deer eat everything around here

• Kym B

I have a hard time with them in Myrtle Beach,SC. I grew massive hosta in GA. Miss them.

Diane, you would need to know what is leading to their decline. Are they being eaten by slugs or deer? Are they getting too much sun or too little water?

• Diane M

Thanks they get plenty of sun

• Barb A

Doreen: I have hosta growing in central Florida, they are in moist, , organic soil in complete shade on north side of the house

• Dorene H

thank you Barb, I just moved my hosta to shady spot.. I was thinking about putting them around my oak tree

• Sherrie S

Barb A, thank you. I didn't think those beautiful plant would grow in Florida. I'm in zone 9.

Sherrie, talk to Debbie Pell at Lindley's Nursery in New Smyrna. She's told me she grows hostas at her house.

• Tess Borgra

Too much sun and watch for slugs eating them

• Sue Kiene

Yes hostas are not really sun lovers so somewhere with dappled sun or partial + shade like under an oak tree would be great.

• Bobbette Goulet

Is there a fertilizer that I can use to "boost" my hostas?